Can't get virtual machine to work...

fsociety3765

Explorer
Hi all,

I am trying to get an Ubuntu Server virtual machine running on SCALE. I have never used virtualization on TrueNAS before but I have a need to use it now.

I have configured it all via the wizard etc and it appears to start up, but I can't access the display via VNC or SPICE. It doesn't seem to give me any information on what IP address it has (if any) for an SSH connection either.

I must be doing something wrong. Any thoughts?

I should also note that my TrueNAS SCALE is running in a virtual machine in Proxmox. I have Proxmox configured correctly for nested virtualization, passing the host CPU directly through to TrueNAS. TrueNAS wouldn't even let me create the VM until that had been done.

Thanks,
FS

KrisBee

Wizard
Did you create a bridge inside SCALE for use wth the VM? Grub or UEFI boot?

Last edited:

mye

Dabbler
Hi,

Yes, I am using a bridge for networking. It's set to UEFI boot.
I have ubuntu server running in VM - no issues.
Just to confirm about the same bridge we are talking. is is one as on my screenshot?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-10-07 120005.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-10-07 120005.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 911

fsociety3765

Explorer
The web UI shows it's powered on, but I don't think it's booting for some reason. There is never anything in the logs file. Can never bring up the display output and the NIC details never shows an IP address.

Perhaps it's because of the nested environment? Maybe that's not supported yet in this release?

mye

Dabbler
Does the bridge have to be set up in a particular way?
Bridge has to have as member your physical network card. That bridge has to be assigned to the VM. Not 100% sure but after you create and save bridge you might need to reboot truenas.
Bridge isn't necessary for VM. My Ubuntu was running without bridge too... Display - you mean the VNC display in truenas VM menus? Also does your bios is set for virtualisation? Attach some screenshots, it's hard to understand like that what's going on

KrisBee

Wizard
@fsociety3765 If you don't use a bridge inside SCALE you'll get a macvtap connection with it's known limitations. TrueNAS scale shouldn't need a re-boot when you first create a bridge inside SCALE, which is fiddly. Usual commands at CLI will show if network is setup as wanted. NIC details in WEB UI only ever show a mac address. Did you ensure you selected "WEB interface" on the "Display Device" ? Don't know if you used DHCP or static IP at install time, but if you're not seeing a lease on your router or cannot make a ssh connection to your VM post-install then could simply be a duff VM install.

fsociety3765

Explorer
Hi all,

I have had some success. It seems the VNC part of the virtualization doesn't like the HAProxy setup that I use for SSL termination. I found that if I browse to the raw IP on HTTP and the VNC port for the VM I was able to bring up the display.

The next issue I had was networking. I haven't been able to get it working with the bridge setup. I had to bind the VM directly to the main TrueNAS interface to get it to pick up an address on the network.

JOduMonT

Dabbler
I have configured it all via the wizard etc and it appears to start up, but I can't access the display via VNC or SPICE. It doesn't seem to give me any information on what IP address it has (if any) for an SSH connection either.

As you seams to mention in your last post, VNC and SPICE will be accessible via the IP of your TrueNAS such as
VNC your Ubuntu @ TrueNAS_IP:5900

fsociety3765

Explorer
@fsociety3765 If you don't use a bridge inside SCALE you'll get a macvtap connection with it's known limitations. TrueNAS scale shouldn't need a re-boot when you first create a bridge inside SCALE, which is fiddly. Usual commands at CLI will show if network is setup as wanted. NIC details in WEB UI only ever show a mac address. Did you ensure you selected "WEB interface" on the "Display Device" ? Don't know if you used DHCP or static IP at install time, but if you're not seeing a lease on your router or cannot make a ssh connection to your VM post-install then could simply be a duff VM install.
Hi,

Are you able to explain how I get the bridge working with the VM? I can only seem to get it working currently with a direct attachment to a physical interface which as you say, gives me a macvtap connection.