balenaetcher image does not run

RJ_fr33

Dabbler
Hello,

I burned TrueNAS iso to USB stick, but when I try to use it on the 'NAS' PC, it tries to install.

The image boots into installer menu, rather then running from USB.

How can I make it run from USB?

Thank you.
Rajeev

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
The image is an installer, you cannot just run it. Use two USB drives, one to boot the installer, one to install to.

Be aware that installing to and later running from USB is not a reliable option for a production system - unless you use a "real" SSD or HDD in a USB enclosure, which might be a good compromise. Thumbdrives are known to and probably will fail.

The TrueNAS image is an installer image. You would have to boot from the installer image and go through the steps to install on a separate device.

TrueNAS is not recommended to be run off consumer USB flash drives, as they will wear out and stop working in a rather short amount of time.

sretalla