Bad JBOD Controller Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Tyler

Explorer
Can someone tell me what controller to get please? I just got burned with a Supermicro controller that didn't support FreeBSD and thus wasn't supported on FreeNAS. It looks like there are a bunch of LSI JBOD controllers that will work, but I am seeing quite a bit of chatter out there about people having to get creative with firmware. Is there a "go to" JBOD controller that will drive 8 drives and just work? It's a custom build PC with 8 2Tb WD RED drives.

This card did NOT work:
http://www.supermicro.com/products/accessories/addon/aoc-sas2lp-mv8.cfm

How about this one?
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816118127

I want to try and keep the purchase to around $100 if possible. I don't need the card to do RAID in any way, just JBOD.. Plan to do ZFS pool at the FreeNAS OS level.

Regards,
Adam Tyler

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Why did the Supermicro card not work? It should have. What kind of problem did you have with it?

Adam Tyler

Explorer
Why did the Supermicro card not work? It should have. What kind of problem did you have with it?
Thanks for your quick reply Chris. FreeNAS didn't see any of the drives after booting up.. Was really "crazy making" because BIOS saw them just fine and the controller appeared to initialize just fine. My guess is that it is because the card is based on " the Marvell 9480 host controller" which doesn't support FreeBSD.

Adam Tyler

Explorer
What do you guys think about this one? Do I care what firmware it is on? P19 or P20? What is the best match for the current build of FreeNAS?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-IT-Mode-Genuine-LSI-9211-8i-8-port-PCI-E-Card-Bulk-pack-US-SameDayShipping/291641245650?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

It's basically the same as the other card you linked with a different layout. Both are based on the SAS 2008 chip which works well.

As far as version, 20 would be the correct version currently used by FreeNAS. However that could change if another update is pushed out at some point however unlikely that may be so you will then still need to be able to update the card.

Code:
# sas2flash -listall
LSI Corporation SAS2 Flash Utility
Version 16.00.00.00 (2013.03.01)
Copyright (c) 2008-2013 LSI Corporation. All rights reserved

Adapter Selected is a LSI SAS: SAS2008(B1)

Num   Ctlr			FW Ver		NVDATA		x86-BIOS		 PCI Addr
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

0  SAS2008(B1)	 20.00.04.00	14.01.00.08	07.31.00.00	 00:05:00:00

Finished Processing Commands Successfully.
		Exiting SAS2Flash.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Adam Tyler

Explorer
It's basically the same as the other card you linked with a different layout. Both are based on the SAS 2008 chip which works well.

As far as version, 20 would be the correct version currently used by FreeNAS. However that could change if another update is pushed out at some point however unlikely that may be so you will then still need to be able to update the card.

Code:
# sas2flash -listall
LSI Corporation SAS2 Flash Utility
Version 16.00.00.00 (2013.03.01)
Copyright (c) 2008-2013 LSI Corporation. All rights reserved

Adapter Selected is a LSI SAS: SAS2008(B1)

Num   Ctlr			FW Ver		NVDATA		x86-BIOS		 PCI Addr
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

0  SAS2008(B1)	 20.00.04.00	14.01.00.08	07.31.00.00	 00:05:00:00

Finished Processing Commands Successfully.
		Exiting SAS2Flash.

Thank you. I was trying to figure out where to download this firmware.. It seems that there was an acquisition recently of LSI and now it is a bit more difficult to download firmware? For the life of me I could not find a support page for the 2911-8i card to download firmware. Or is the firmware just a one size fits all? Is there one card that I should get that would be more "future" proof? For example if I were to purchase the 9240, would it be more likely to support later firmware than the 2911?

Or is the firmware actually stored on the FreeNAS OS and you just need to apply? Forgive my ignorance. I have used NAS4Free for the longest time and this is all new territory. First experience building an array with 8 drives. Have been using 6 drives with the motherboard built in controller until now.

Regards,
Adam Tyler

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
For the life of me I could not find a support page for the 2911-8i card to download firmware.
Because that is the wrong model number. It is 9211, not 2911...

Did you look at the instruction page I pointed you to? It had links on it last time I used it.

Adam Tyler

Explorer
Because that is the wrong model number. It is 9211, not 2911...

Did you look at the instruction page I pointed you to? It had links on it last time I used it.

Doh! I meant 9211.. Swap out all said above that was wrong "2911" with 9211..

I am trying to find downloads for the 9211 on this site, but can't seem to find anything...
https://www.broadcom.com/support/download-search

Am I in the wrong place?

I did look at your instructions. Got to like line 300 of the guide and was feeling a little like it was worth just ordering one in IT mode with P20 firmware already. ;)

Regards,
Adam Tyler

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I did look at your instructions. Got to like like 300 of the guide and was feeling a little like it was worth just ordering one in IT mode with P20 firmware already.
It is a long guide because they are trying to cover several different cards and possible ways to install.
If you decide on a card, more specific instructions are available.

https://docs.broadcom.com/docs/UEFI_BSD_P20.zip

Adam Tyler

Explorer
It is a long guide because they are trying to cover several different cards and possible ways to install.
If you decide on a card, more specific instructions are available.

https://docs.broadcom.com/docs/UEFI_BSD_P20.zip

Thank you Chris. So is there a chance the 9211-8i card won't support required firmware in the future? Is there a different chip/board I should get to make sure it is a bit more future proof? Seems like there are tons of poeple running LSI 9211 and DELL Perc cards.

Interesting that the 9211 isn't listed on the FreeNAS compatibility list. Or maybe I missed it.

Regards,
Adam Tyler

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Thank you Chris. So is there a chance the 9211-8i card won't support required firmware in the future? Is there a different chip/board I should get to make sure it is a bit more future proof? Seems like there are tons of poeple running LSI 9211 and DELL Perc cards.

Interesting that the 9211 isn't listed on the FreeNAS compatibility list. Or maybe I missed it.

Regards,
Adam Tyler
It is right here:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/freenas®-quick-hardware-guide.7/

Regards,
Adam Tyler

The firmware and drivers are matched sets so not likely. Basically a bunch of the cards use the same chip and are almost completely compatible. That is the reason why you see the 9211, some perc cards, and some IBM serveraid cards used. Often times the cards are all made by what was then LSI and then branded for which ever company was selling them. I believe its the IBM 1015 that is easily flashed with the same 9211-8i firmware as a LSI 9211 would use, this works because they are electrically compatible cards with a slightly different layout.

The cards are now EOL since they have been superseded by the SAS2308 chips. So that does mean there are less work being done on them and it is less likely you will see the need to update but it is not guaranteed. However they are widely used especially in the secondary (home) markets since they have been sold off from the servers they used to reside in so support should continue for a decent amount of time unless there is a major change in the ecosystem that is drastically cheaper than what is currently available.

Adam Tyler

Explorer
The firmware and drivers are matched sets so not likely. Basically a bunch of the cards use the same chip and are almost completely compatible. That is the reason why you see the 9211, some perc cards, and some IBM serveraid cards used. Often times the cards are all made by what was then LSI and then branded for which ever company was selling them. I believe its the IBM 1015 that is easily flashed with the same 9211-8i firmware as a LSI 9211 would use, this works because they are electrically compatible cards with a slightly different layout.

The cards are now EOL since they have been superseded by the SAS2308 chips. So that does mean there are less work being done on them and it is less likely you will see the need to update but it is not guaranteed. However they are widely used especially in the secondary (home) markets since they have been sold off from the servers they used to reside in so support should continue for a decent amount of time unless there is a major change in the ecosystem that is drastically cheaper than what is currently available.

nightshade00013, so a controller like this would be a better purchase?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lsi-Sas2308-Lsi-Sas-9207-8I-Pcie-3-0-Hba-Lsi00301-Card-S-/232323276914

Instead of this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-IT-Mod...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Just because it is newer and will have a longer support life, or is it actually faster in some way?

Regards,

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
nightshade00013, so a controller like this would be a better purchase?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lsi-Sas2308-Lsi-Sas-9207-8I-Pcie-3-0-Hba-Lsi00301-Card-S-/232323276914

Instead of this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-IT-Mode-Genuine-LSI-9211-8i-8-port-PCI-E-Card-Bulk-pack-US-SameDayShipping/291641245650?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Just because it is newer and will have a longer support life, or is it actually faster in some way?

Regards,
Unless you are cascading multiple SAS expanders and loading them up with a lot of drives, you wouldn't see any performance difference in the two. For spinning disks, and the average data rate they can support, you would probably need to have about 200 drives connected to one controller before you would see a difference in the functionality. For home use, and most businesses too, there isn't a reason to go to the newer hardware.

The answer is totally different if you were going to load the system up with SSDs instead of regular spinning disks.

Adam Tyler

Explorer
Unless you are cascading multiple SAS expanders and loading them up with a lot of drives, you wouldn't see any performance difference in the two. For spinning disks, and the average data rate they can support, you would probably need to have about 200 drives connected to one controller before you would see a difference in the functionality. For home use, and most businesses too, there isn't a reason to go to the newer hardware.

The answer is totally different if you were going to load the system up with SSDs instead of regular spinning disks.

Thanks everyone... Initially I would just be deploying this with 8 total WD RED drives. So I am expecting approximately 60 MB/s per mirrored pair. I know they burst more than that, but they seem to settle at 60 sustained transfer. So it sounds like either controller will work, but the new 9207-8i controller sounds like it is in the same ball park for price and will give me some options down the road if I want to expand to SSDs.

My under standing is that this controller only allowed for 2, 4 SATA connector break out cables. Like only 8 drives supported... Does the 9207-8i actually support more drives than that?

Status
Not open for further replies.