Backup a single drive FreeNAS9

Status
Not open for further replies.

teddy

Cadet
I installed FreeNAS on a single drive.
I would like to run a backup every week.
The box has USB3 and that would be the best backup for me.

I was thinking about

1. format a new 2TB external USB3 as EXT4
2. mount the 2TB to /backup
3. run rsync from the command line
4. repeat steps 2 to 4 every week

danb35

Hall of Famer
FreeNAS doesn't support USB3, so you'd be stuck with USB2. Why would you format the external drive as ext4? I'd suggest ZFS (if your hardware is up to it) or UFS (if not), as those filesystems are native to FreeBSD and FreeNAS is designed to work with them. If you use ZFS, you can use the built-in ZFS replication features to do the backup.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
To be blunt, I think you should stop and do more reading. We have a manual and stickies that would clear up all of your misconceptions.

And if I can be brutally honest, if you are only doing a single disk system FreeNAS probably isn't the best choice for you. You are probably better off sticking with sharing from a Windows/OSX/Linux/whatever you are used to.

teddy

Cadet
To be blunt, I think you should stop and do more reading. We have a manual and stickies that would clear up all of your misconceptions.

And if I can be brutally honest, if you are only doing a single disk system FreeNAS probably isn't the best choice for you. You are probably better off sticking with sharing from a Windows/OSX/Linux/whatever you are used to.

Other than redundancy, not sure what else a single drive FreeNAS lacks.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Other than redundancy, not sure what else a single drive FreeNAS lacks.

Let's see.. none of the ZFS data redundancy exists, there is no data recovery if your zpool has problems, there's the added mess that people can't setup FreeNAS properly or don't set it up properly and figure out their error when they lose their data and then find out that due to the error they made it also wiped out their backups in the process.

I've been around enough to know. I'm not sure what the "advantage" is that you are gaining or think you are gaining aside from getting an OS. And if a free OS is what you want linux can definitely do the job and there are data recovery options for ext2/3/4.

Status
Not open for further replies.