Backing up with Veeam

zyrex

Dabbler
With the release of Scale it became possible to install and use Veeam Agent for Linux, to make backups of the files that are stored on TrueNAS to a B&R server.
However, as the agent is installed via apt-get/the package handler it does go away with updates of TrueNAS, requiring a reinstall. Not ideal. But the behaviour is expected.

So with this, I have two questions;
- Would there be any official way to enable Veeam Agent for Linux to be officially supported on Scale?
- If not, is there any other way to achieve a Veeam-backup of the files on the Scale-server?

I see some SMB File Share-functionality, but it's nothing I've tried before.

I read somewhere that earlier Veeam and iX Systems had entered some kind of cooperation, so was hoping for some kind of synergy here :)

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Its a good question..

You should be able to use Veeam and backup data via SMB or NFS interfaces. You can also backup to the NAS via SMB or NFS.

The Veeam linux agent would be an interesting add... however, we'd have to decide what data it can access. Would it be trusted with all data?

Before trying to address the apt-get issues, it would be useful for someone to explore the use of the Veeam agent with TrueNAS SCALE and what scripts would be needed. Does it work as required and what configuration is needed (I assume that you want managed mode.. not standalone mode).

As for other backup methods, there are several:
ZFS replication.... replicate snapshots to another TrueNAS or ZFS server (works for datasets, permissions and zvols)
rsync.to another server.- file synchronization (datasets only)
cloudsync .. replicate/sync to a S3 like cloud storage

Veeam backup for Linux will operate like rsync.. I don't think it has any special ZFS snapshot capabilities. Both rsync and veeam will be less efficient than ZFS replication.

zyrex

Dabbler
I've installed the agent (without snapshot capabilities) in my lab (Standalone mode), and it works just as expected at least, and backs up everything I point it at.

I will have a look at backing up via the SMB share too, see how that works. It seems to maybe give me less options for tuning, though.

I would like to continue using Veeam B&R so I can leverage the same backup system both for my VMs and file server, but I am aware of ZFS replication, it's just not in my roadmap/possibility.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I've installed the agent (without snapshot capabilities) in my lab (Standalone mode), and it works just as expected at least, and backs up everything I point it at.

I will have a look at backing up via the SMB share too, see how that works. It seems to maybe give me less options for tuning, though.

I would like to continue using Veeam B&R so I can leverage the same backup system both for my VMs and file server, but I am aware of ZFS replication, it's just not in my roadmap/possibility.
Can you write up a HOW-TO on how you configured and used it.
If you want to make a suggestion within "report a Bug"... our engineering team can look at it.