Hardened repository for Veeam with TrueNAS Scale

Thomas_VDB

Contributor
Hi,

I implemented this terrific tutorial on how to create immutable Veeam backups using TrueNAS scale.
One question though regarding the implementation:
Why is SMB used instead of iSCSI? I would suppose iSCSI is faster, and easier to harden than SMB?

Also 2 small remarks that perhaps can be updated in the tutorial :
- during the installation of TrueNAS scale, the installer suggests to create a user "admin". Discard this and use "root".
- while setting advanced options for the SMB share in TrueNAS scale : "NFSv3/SMB" is now "NFSv4/SMB"

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Why is SMB used instead of iSCSI? I would suppose iSCSI is faster, and easier to harden than SMB?
(I presume) SMB is used because iSCSI is not yet performance tuned on SCALE and SMB has had much more work put into it.

Also, it's probably better suited to the workload, not forcing sync writes like iSCSI would.

- during the installation of TrueNAS scale, the installer suggests to create a user "admin". Discard this and use "root".
Certainly not "best practice" (which is why TrueNAS pushes you to change to use admin or another named account rather than root).

If you're saying that due to the path variable being a mess and dotfiles missing, maybe do this:

Thomas_VDB

Contributor
(I presume) SMB is used because iSCSI is not yet performance tuned on SCALE and SMB has had much more work put into it.

Also, it's probably better suited to the workload, not forcing sync writes like iSCSI would.

Certainly not "best practice" (which is why TrueNAS pushes you to change to use admin or another named account rather than root).

If you're saying that due to the path variable being a mess and dotfiles missing, maybe do this:
Thx for the reply. I agree on your comments about SMB vs iSCSI.

Regarding the root user : I just mentioned it because the tutorial is written with using the root-user in mind. I was using the admin user but then some issues in the tutorial didn't work (e.g. in the console the ZFS command doesn't work/is unknown).

sretalla