Authentication issues with smb windows fall creators 1703 update

Status
Not open for further replies.

score

Cadet
My windows server died. So I decided to try FreeNAS. I downloaded and installed FreeNAS-11.04-U4 this weekend. Everything seemed to go fine except I cannot access the smb share from my Windows 10 box. if I explore to \\<ip>\ I can see the shares "if I use the root user name and pw I installed FreeNAS with". If I use either of the two usernames I set up through the FreeNAS GUI, I error out with user name and password is incorrect. If I use the root user/pw to see the shares, I can get no further with either root or my users I created.

The thing is I can access the shares via other windows box on my home workgroup, just not my windows box. My box has updated to the windows 1703 creators update. The other machines have not.

I was wondering if this is a "known" issue or not. My searches have not been productive. I have tried several incarnation of enabling/disabling smbv1-3 on both sides, with no luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Not a problem. It's special to your environment. Who owns the dataset and how are the shares configured?

score

Cadet
I created a user "score" and the dataset is owned by score and group score

upload_2017-12-12_8-30-51.png

and deanscode:

upload_2017-12-12_8-31-44.png

are there other settings I should be looking at?

thanks

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Never change the permissions of your root dataset.

Also what does your share look like? And user settings?

score

Cadet
I deleted the root set and recreated so as not to change the permissions. No help. I have tried various share settings and different user settings. I tried setting smb to just smb3, and just smb1/2. I tried matching the same turning on smb1/2/3 on windows. I tried hundreds of different settings on the freenas setup, as well as different windows settings. Nothings seems to work. All of my windows desktops at home work with freenas except for "my" machines. Which is the one I need. Windows 7/ 8.1 work. Windows 10 works on the machines without the latest fall creators update.

Thanks for your help, but I am going to reinstall the nas machine with windows server and just set up a share. I'll try again maybe next time I upgrade machines. I wish it would have worked, but alas, no. It beat me.

Status
Not open for further replies.