Windows 10 Enterprise 1709 update smb share not visible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flávio

Cadet
My name is Flavio. I had successfully implemented a freenas server(FreeNAS-11.1-U4) in my office and the access to it was possible from any machine with any OS. Everything worked perfeclty. After the new update in windows 10 version 1709, the smb share stopped being visible in the machines operating win 10 enterprise and educational. Any other versions of windows could still access the share normaly. After some research I found that the smb v1 was is not installed by default in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ed-windows-10-and-windows-server-version-1709
I verified that, by installing smb v1 in those machines, the smb connection started to work fine again, and the access to the share was possible. Having that said this is not a good solution because the smb v1 is vunerable and we need a higher security level. The samba version on the freenas is 4.7.0 and all the other machines (that are not win 10 educational or enterprise) are comunicating by smb v3. The question is what can I do to make the machines with enterprise and educational comunicate in later versions of smb? Is this a known bug? Shouldn't it work normally eventhough smb v1 was removed from those versions?

Thanks in advance.

m0nkey_

MVP
The "Creators Update" broke this functionality in Windows 10. Your FreeNAS server is still accessible, but you have to map a drive or navigate to the UNC path manually.

Flávio

Cadet
The "Creators Update" broke this functionality in Windows 10. Your FreeNAS server is still accessible, but you have to map a drive or navigate to the UNC path manually.

If the update did that, it was only to Windows 10 Enterprise and Educational because in any other version of windows the smb share works pretty fine... Still is not possible to map the drive so it's not possible to connect to share unless I install smb v1 wich is very strange. Is it possible that by removing the smb v1 they messed up the other versions? I find it very odd that there isn't anyone having the same problems...

Redcoat

MVP

Flávio

Cadet
There have been numerous threads here with people dealing with the same issue.

The MS KB article at this link https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4034314/smbv1-is-not-installed-windows-10-and-windows-server-version-1709 and the other linked near the end of it may help you understand this better.

I couldn´t find any thread with the same problem as I mine, I found people that wanted to activate smbv1 cause that was their only way of comunicating with share. I know how to do that but that's a bad solution. I just want to know how to solve the problem of now being able to comunicate between a win 10 enterprise (v 1709) and freenas 11.1 knowing that both machines have compatible smb versions... Monkey pointed to a possible solution involving mapping the drive with the exact "\\address\sharename" but it didn't helped me. I still have the same error mesage "Check the spelling of the name.Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network..." .

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Status
Not open for further replies.