BUILD asrock E3C236D2I vs EPC612D4I help

Status
Not open for further replies.

joseph_m

Cadet
Hello all,
After a lot of reading I’ll start building my FreeNas system. I’m hesitating between two motherboards (Mini Itx is a must)
I’ll mention the price of hardware because I think it’s little bit different here in France.

My usage will be for backups mainly, some shares maybe transcoding or vmware to test since I’m not in this field but really occasionally. Plugins such transmission, plex, open vpn and owncloud.

Concerning the disks didn’t make my choice yet I’ll start reading cyberjoke powerpoint soon. I have about 5T of data right now distributed on 3 my external drives, but I know once capacity is bigger the easier we’ll be filled.

Both motherboards will be able to do the job but hardware upgrade for the furfure isn’t the same.

The equation is:

E3C236D2I (220€) + 16Gb ECC UDIM (280€) upgradable to 32 + xeon E3-1220V6 (280 €) + 6 sata3 on board

EPC612D4I (320€) + 16Gb ECC So-DIM (280€) upgradable to 64 + xeon E5-2603 v4 (290€) + 4 sata3 on board so maybe a card controller will be needed in the future.

Any advice will be much appreciated :)

Last edited:

m0nkey_

MVP
Hello all,
After a lot of reading I’ll start building my FreeNas system. I’m hesitating between two motherboards (Mini Itx is a must)
I’ll mention the price of hardware because I think it’s little bit different here in France.

My usage will be for backups mainly, some shares maybe transcoding or vmware to test since I’m not in this field but really occasionally. Plugins such transmission, plex, open vpn and owncloud.

Concerning the disks didn’t make my choice yet I’ll start reading cyberjoke powerpoint soon. I have about 5T of data right now distributed on 3 my external drives, but I know once capacity is bigger the easier we’ll be filled.

Both motherboards will be able to do the job but hardware upgrade for the furfure isn’t the same.

The equation is:

E3C236D2I (220€) + 16Gb ECC UDIM (280€) upgradable to 32 + xeon E3-1220V6 (280 €) + 6 sata3 on board

EPC612D4I (320€) + 16Gb ECC So-DIM (280€) upgradable to 64 + xeon E5-2603 v4 (290€) + 4 sata3 on board so maybe a card controller will be needed in the future.

Any advice will be much appreciated :)
cyberjoke
That's a new one :tongue:

I would go with the 1151 socket, cheaper in the long run.

Inxsible

Guru
Do you already have a case? Is that why you want to stick to mini-ITX?

Here's another good mini-ITX server board MSI S0891

There are 2 versions of it, one with IPMI and one without. I would always go for a server board with IPMI. So if you want IPMI, then make sure you get the correct model number.

However the non-IPMI one is really cheap at 88 euros on ebay

Stux

MVP
Status
Not open for further replies.