ASRock C236 or C2250D4I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings!

I'm working towards a proper FreeNAS build so that I won't have any doubts about my data up and destroying itself. Based on the list of hardware I currently have, I figured either the ASRock C236 with my existing i3-7100 or the ASRock C2250D4I with my existing DDR3 ECC RAM would be the ideal routes (that way I'm using some of my existing hardware, thus reducing the amount of hardware to sell and then acquire). Essentially, I would like to use whatever hardware I can out of the list below, then sell the rest on ebay or locally to offset the cost of the new equipment as much as possible.

The main use of my FreeNAS is file storage and a Plex server, but I want some wiggle room for jails/VM in the future. I was using the TS140 up until recently. I got the Node 304 and got excited, so I switched from safer hardware to not-so ideal hardware for this smaller build. The motherboard needs to be ITX, which I've found reeeeally limits the selection. Do you guys have a preference for one over the other, or is there another motherboard I haven't come across? Also, the price range of the C236/C2250D4I is about what I'm looking for. Any input or thoughts would be much appreciated!

Current hardware:
Extra hardware:
  • 8 GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM (I can find the specific model if necessary)
  • Lenovo Thinkserver TS140 Barebones (case, PSU, mobo, and i3-4130)

Status
Not open for further replies.