Budget NAS - under 650 €

Status
Not open for further replies.

spooky_ghost

Cadet
Hi,
I have almost no experience when it comes to hardware and keep in mind, that I live in Germany, so not everything is (cheap) available. This my first NAS build and my second PC built overall.

I have these Parts in mind:

CPU: Intel - Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor (115€)
Motherboard: ASRock - H110M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard (70€)
RAM: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (45€)
Storage: 2x WD-red 4tb (i'll mirror them) (260€)
Case: Fractal Design - Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case (80 €)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX (66€)

Total cost: about 635 €

Some Questions I encountered:
-Do I need a better MB
-Could I use a cheaper CPU
-can everything fit in the case

I would be VERY happy for any feedback and suggestions. Also thank you for your Time :)

pro lamer

Guru
You need more RAM for sure. Actually you should have already known this cos it's stated in the hardware requirements... (in the manual's introduction IIRC)

Some (or at least one - I ve read some post with that but I can't remember whose) in these forums say one needs to read a lot to use FreeNAS at all...

There are some cheaper but weaker CPUs. Pentium. Depends on your NAS purpose/use. EDIT: You can find more details in the CPU section of the hardware recommendation guide found in our forums.

EDIT: And I can advise checking whether the integrated HD graphics depends on a special CPU or is an independent part of the mobo.

And IIRC there are some builds with the case you mentioned - but but mine so here I can only advise: search our forums.

EDIT: regarding the mobo - the LAN is Intel so the LAN may be ok but maybe someone else knows some gotchas regarding other components...

Sent from my mobile phone

Last edited:

pro lamer

Guru
I've made some edits to my previous post. The newest was regarding the HD graphics.

spooky_ghost

Cadet
You need more RAM for sure. Actually you should have already known this cos it's stated in the hardware requirements... (in the manual's introduction IIRC)

Some (or at least one - I ve read some post with that but I can't remember whose) in these forums say one needs to read a lot to use FreeNAS at all...

There are some cheaper but weaker CPUs. Pentium. Depends on your NAS purpose/use. EDIT: You can find more details in the CPU section of the hardware recommendation guide found in our forums.

EDIT: And I can advise checking whether the integrated HD graphics depends on a special CPU or is an independent part of the mobo.

And IIRC there are some builds with the case you mentioned - but but mine so here I can only advise: search our forums.

EDIT: regarding the mobo - the LAN is Intel so the LAN may be ok but maybe someone else knows some gotchas regarding other components...

Sent from my mobile phone
Hi. i updated to 8 gb ram and reread the guides. Just as a note while the Hardware recommendation guide is useful, most products there are too expensive for me, so I tend to use recommendation from other websites. (That's where i got the 4gb ram suggestion - seems that i should stick to the forum here)

danb35

Hall of Famer
In .us, the best way to get a (new) budget server is often to buy a pre-built low-end server--I think the Dell T30 is the current leader in that regard, but others to look at are the Dell T20, the Lenovo TS140, and the HPE Proliant ML10. I'm not sure about availability or pricing in .de, but it would be worth looking into.

The other thing to consider is that recent-generation used hardware can give much more bang for the buck.

Status
Not open for further replies.