ASRock 2750D4I suddenly lost VGA/POST while setting it up new

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Renouf

Dabbler
I am building a FreeNAS system, and just assembled components tonight.

Everything was working great. Drives (5) online and memory correct. Installed FreeNAS onto a USB drive. Right around the time I was rebooting to start it up for the first time I was adjusting the position of some wire bundles, and adding a few last zipties. The system powered off and back on itself a couple times.

I assumed I had a loose power connection, or something else going on, so I snugged and rechecked all the power connections. Nothing seemed too out of place.
I've continued eliminating possibilities for the past 3hrs now:
Wiped CMOS,
Powered on through IPMI web interface.
Removed all but one stick of RAM and ensured it was seated solidly.

Thinking my PSU might be acting up, I checked all the voltages with the green turn-on wire shorted, and everything checks out (12v was 11.8v, but that's in spec).
I went so far as to try a second known-good PSU, and the results were the same.

The system fan spins up, the later speeds up slightly, then slows down again. That's IT!
IPMI comes up and works fine. Nothing else.

This system was working fine 3hrs ago. I'm so confused.

The thing that has me thinking dead motherboard now is the lack of voltages on the sensors. What could have happened to this board?
Is there anything else I could try?

ASRock 2570D4I,
Crucial 32GB (8GB x 4) ECC Unbuffered RAM

...all other components disconnected!

Haaaaalp?!

Mark Renouf

Dabbler
zZBTuJE.png

Mark Renouf

Dabbler
That's what I fear... I just purchased this from Amazon.
Shouldn't this have lasted at least a few months to a year of use? Is this some other flaw specific to the ASRock line (vs. the C2000 clockgen flaw?).

I will just return it as defective, as I'm not dealing with RMA after <1day of use. (I consider that DOA :mad:)

The new C3000 line has been announced but I didn't want to play the waiting game for when a 4/8 core part will be available. o_O

Are there any realistic alternatives to just trying another replacement 2750?
I already have the RAM, Case and Supply for this build, but I could swap the RAM if I really had to.

Arwen

MVP
Actually the IPMI lists the main CPU and friend's power as not available when that part is powered off.
(If I recall correctly.)

One thing to check is that cable ties sometimes put extra strain on the connectors and cables. That might
cause a poorly fitted cable end point to pull out of the plastic connector. That's happened to me before
with the 4 pin MOLEX type power connectors. Today I use velcro and not too tight.

Someone mentioned that one of their cable tied disk cables actually damaged the disk's SATA & power
connector. Disk sort of worked, so he could get the data off, but he went and RMAed the disk anyway.

Yes, the C2570D4I should have lasted at least a year, perhaps 2. Both FreeNAS and ASrock have software
updates that prevent the BMC causing damage to one of the flash chips. The Intel LPC clocking issue
should not cause the board to die for at least 2 years, may be longer.

Mark Renouf

Dabbler
Thanks! Once I have time (and more patience) I will completely pull the board out and re-check everything, but I was pretty thorough to the point of testing with a second power supply.
Just in case I've already requested a replacement from Amazon. Fingers crossed! o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.