ASRock C2550D4I no post, no vga output

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anywhere

Cadet
Hey,

I seem to have the same issue as https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/c2550d4i-no-post-no-vga-output-via-ipmi.28582/page-2.

The reply there is:

1/ I want you to use only stick of RAM installed in the blue slot A1, and make sure both ends of the RAM are seated all the way down until you hear a snap from the lock.
2/ Clear the CMOS by holding down the case power button for 30 seconds without the power cable attached to the board and without the CMOS battery.
3/ Put the power back in as well as the CMOS battery. Turn on the PSU (not the board), and wait until the green BMC LED starts to flash.
4/ Notice what IP is assigned to your Dedicated IPMI LAN port, access the IP Address by using an internet browser.
5/ Turn on the server board and check the Sensor Readings in Megarac web management console – Server Health, with the board turned on.

However how do you do #4, to notice what ip is assigned?

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
However how do you do #4, to notice what ip is assigned?

You should be able to see that in your router configuration (or whichever device in your network has the role of the DHCP server).

Anywhere

Cadet
Yea, that's one of the things I use this machine for :). So you are saying it doesn't set an ip manually and/or there is no default ip?

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
No, I just expected that the default (and currently active) LAN setting for the IPMI BMC is DHCP and that some other device in your network is the DHCP server.

Is it possible to search IPMI devices within the network using Megarac SP? I'm using Spuermicro IPMIView and have no experience with Megarac SP.

Anywhere

Cadet
Thanks for your replies btw. Yea I got into the ipmi now. It would seem as if the machine is truly bricked, even though the lamps glow like they should and as far as I can tell the ipmi works as it should. However I can get no output from the java consoles, or vga directly connected.

nojohnny101

Wizard
do you hear anything when you try and boot? no fans spinning, no hard drives spinning up?

I had a problem with a C2550D4I not posting and it turned out to be bad RAM that i bought new from amazon. I couldn't believe it as that is rare when buying new. I would try another stick of RAM that you know to be good.

Pulling the CMOS battery and then restarting, after seating the new RAM, solved the problem for me.

Anywhere

Cadet
do you hear anything when you try and boot? no fans spinning, no hard drives spinning up?

I had a problem with a C2550D4I not posting and it turned out to be bad RAM that i bought new from amazon. I couldn't believe it as that is rare when buying new. I would try another stick of RAM that you know to be good.

Pulling the CMOS battery and then restarting, after seating the new RAM, solved the problem for me.

Yea thanks I have tried it.

nojohnny101

Wizard
Sounds like it will need an RMA then.

Contact support (they have always been excellent when I needed them) and see what they say but an RMA is what I'm seeing in your future.

Anywhere

Cadet
I mailed support about 5-6 days ago without reply. Board is 1.5 years old or so so no rma for me :/

Edit. I emailed william day before yesterday and he got back to me now.

Last edited:

nojohnny101

Wizard
ok. I don't know if I missed it but what happened to cause this. Rarely these things just happen. What did you do? Restart it and then it wouldn't boot again? Did you update FreeNAS and then it would boot?

What did you do immediately preceding?

Anywhere

Cadet
No, just hung. I coldbooted it and it wouldn't post. Ipmi works though, and both light 7 and 8 are on as they should.

nojohnny101

Wizard
No, just hung. I coldbooted it and it wouldn't post.

The GUI froze or all shares stopped as well? You shut it down by holding the power button on your case?

Anywhere

Cadet
The GUI froze or all shares stopped as well? You shut it down by holding the power button on your case?

Sorry for not replying. I got a hold of william@asrock now. We confirmed there is a post/boot problem and I have sent it to holland for rma. Thanks for your assistance!

Anywhere

Cadet
Wow Asrock! I got a new board despite it being too old. Maybe they realized that my meticoulous nature and returning the board in pristine shape that the board itself was at fault. I don't know but as you can imagne I'm very happy.

nojohnny101

Wizard
well that is good news. do you have an additional information to add after talking with asrock about what might have been the problem?

well even though there seems to be a larger than is acceptable failure rate of c2550d4i and c2750d4i at least they seem to be willing to replace them even outside of warranty. i would like to hear though from asrock about what they know regarding the high failure rates.

Anywhere

Cadet
No, they wouldn't say just that they confirmed it was the board. I asked my rma contact specifically about this thinking maybe I could improve my chances this time around.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Interesting. That's certainly an improvement from their initial response...

Status
Not open for further replies.