ASRock C2550D4I: No VGA output, no POST, won't even boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

morxy49

Contributor
So this is a followup from my previous thread: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...0d4i-wont-boot-no-bios-no-ipmi-nothing.40868/
I decided to start a new one, since i have made some big changes, and the problem has thus also changed.

Backstory: I have a ASrock C2550D4I that has been running as a NAS for about two years now. Well, had... After a crash of the server (and a bunch of random signs on the screen) i did a hard shutdown, and after that it went dead. I tried everything to get it started again, but all i could do was get into the IPMI.

Problem: When the server is turned on, it won't display any VGA output, it's completely black. When using Console redirection through IPMI i get the same result. Completely black screen. I've waited for 30 minutes and still nothing. It seems as if it doesn't even get to POST.

What's new?: Well, i decided to buy another C2550D4I and see if that solved the problem, it did not. Then i decided to buy another setup of RAM sticks (qualified of course), which didn't work either. I have also tried with another PSU, which doesn't work wither. So what i've come to is that neither the motherboard, RAM, or PSU is faulty, but i still can't get anything to work. I now have two complete setups, and neither of them works!
I've tried every possible combination of old RAM on new board, new RAM on new board etc. Still nothing.
Also tried to clear CMOS several times, nothing.

What am i doing wrong here!? I'm just throwing money everywhere on new components and nothing works!

Old RAM: 2x Kingston KVR1333D3E9S/8G
New RAM:2x Crucial 102472BD160B

toadman

Guru
Sounds like a call to ASROCK is required. Are you getting any beeps to suggest the board is booting at all?

What do you mean the other PSU doesn't work with either?

With any of your components you'd want to verify they work in some other system. Example, for the new RAM, how do you know it's good? How do you know the PSUs you are trying are good? They probably are, but how do you know for sure?

morxy49

Contributor
Sounds like a call to ASROCK is required. Are you getting any beeps to suggest the board is booting at all?

What do you mean the other PSU doesn't work with either?

With any of your components you'd want to verify they work in some other system. Example, for the new RAM, how do you know it's good? How do you know the PSUs you are trying are good? They probably are, but how do you know for sure?
I mean that I've tried with another PSU (that is working), but i still can't get it to boot.
I've tried the PSU's on other computers, so they work fine.
I've tried both new RAM, old RAM, and RAM from my gaming PC, and none of them makes it boot. The chance of all these being broken (especially the RAM from my gaming PC, which i'm sitting on now) is zero.

I have sent an email to William on ASrock, and hoping for an answer soon.

toadman

Guru
Ok, good, hopefully they will have some other ideas.

Yes, it is strange indeed. I would have thought maybe the CPU was bad. But it would be quite unusual for the CPU to be bad in the new board as well. (I assume it comes with the board.)

morxy49

Contributor
Ok, good, hopefully they will have some other ideas.

Yes, it is strange indeed. I would have thought maybe the CPU was bad. But it would be quite unusual for the CPU to be bad in the new board as well. (I assume it comes with the board.)
Yes, it's an on-board CPU.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

morxy49

Contributor
Apparently i was just extremely unlucky. Turned out that *both* my old MB and the new MB were dead.
I talked to the ASrock support, and they confirmed the MB as dead. I sent it to them and got a replacement. That one worked!
The new MB i bought got returned to the reseller, and i got my money back.
So i now have a working NAS with 32GB of RAM instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.