Asigra backup guide?

hugovsky

Guru
Another note: I'm using windows server as client in one site and I had problems using the ds-client because of Java. To work I had to use adoptOpenJDK. I've installed it on iwndows because it's a DC and have access to all network. From that DC, I can make backups of network share even using if that share is using linux OS. As far as I understand it, 1 client can manage an entire network of computers, as long as it can access them.

mapcevn

Dabbler
I came across hugovsky's entry, then the hope to get this stuff works came back to me.

Let me tell you all the story again. I followed Dan's guide, able to get the plugin installed without any error, downloaded the iso file ... launched the management console bla bla..... then I was stuck at "Check the box next to the "asigra" entry in the left-hand panel. Login as root/root". I found no way to get this IP green and to be able to check the box to keep moving ahead, everything else is grey out, see screenshot below.

The only thing I can do is that I can ping the jail's IP.

Is there any trick here to get this stuff works? Do I need to open or forward any port?

2020-04-22 19_56_00-Window.png

hugovsky

Guru
You need to use the user and password you created with the jail. Or you can create new one using jail shell.. root user only allows to manage users that you have to create thru jail shell. Users created can have any permissions given by root in DS-Operator.

Just to clear:

DS-User: used to login in local system. On windows, should be an admin account.
DS-Operator: used to login in remote system (asigra server in Freenas server) . On windows or othes, should be an account created in the asigra jail on freenas

EDITED to clear some points.

Last edited:

mapcevn

Dabbler
Hugosky, thanks for replying and providing the screenshots. My problem is that I'm stuck right at the DS-Operator, unable to get it talk to the server. I tried the DNS resolution to the asigra within the pfSense, see screenshot, but no luck though I can ping both the IP and the FQDN.
When I created the jail, I just simply run the plugin within the FreeNAS WebGUI. I recall that the setup did not ask me to provide any account, username or password, then It said the installation is successful!!???
Which port did you use when you were doing the DS-Operator Initialization?
2020-04-23 22_47_18-Window.png

hugovsky

Guru
When I created the jail, I just simply run the plugin within the FreeNAS WebGUI. I recall that the setup did not ask me to provide any account, username or password, then It said the installation is successful!!???
Yes, me too. You don't need pass to use thru the jail shell.

What are your network settings? are you using dhcp? these are mine. I'm also using one physical interface for the jail. Can this be the culprint?

Attachments

• network.PNG
    network.PNG
    28.1 KB · Views: 532

mapcevn

Dabbler
I'm using a dedicated NIC for the jail with static IP. Not sure if this is the culprit. Please see screenshot.
2020-04-24 12_47_39-Window.png

mapcevn

Dabbler
I switched to DHCP and it works!!! It's baffled me when the software refused the static IP and the dedicated NIC, but it's OK at this moment as long as I can move this forward. However, I'm stuck at the licencing stuff, please see the below screenshot.
The licence server in the SETUP menu is grayed out. I guess you came across this one too, and I'm wondering how you jumped through this hoop?
2020-04-24 15_25_45-DS-Operator - backup - backup_root.png

mapcevn

Dabbler
Ahhhh, Dan's guide helped me again. I log out and login again with a new user created with his guide and I was able to go through all the process on server side setup. Not sure how the client side will look like, but at least there has been some progress. Thank you, Dan and Hugo.

siberianh

Cadet
Anyone running it successfully to back up several Windows systems? Just wondering how well the deduplication works. Right now, I'm using a Win2019 VM with a deduplicated volume and Veeam to back up 4 Windows boxes. I'm only using about 1tb of data for all the systems and weekly full backups. Just wondering how well Asigra would do..

JeffLohne

Cadet
I am just getting started with this and having the similar issues with connecting to it. However i know Asigra well as I work for a large service provider and we use the Asigra product (outside of FreeNAS) for our customers. Very robust system and has lots of features. Currently looking into deploying FreeNAS for a local vault onsite on client premise to be able to be replicated back to our datacenter. We currently use other methods for this but the FreeNAS integration has peaked my interest.

The Deduplication works well and works better the larger the scale of what you are backing up is. Been using Asigra software since 2006....

So on another note i cannot seem to get the ds-operator to connect no matter how i configure the jail. New to FreeNAS so new to configuring Jails. Currently testing on a VM and wasn't sure best setup for network (i do not have DHCP where it is currently residing). Seems DHCP did work for someone up above. Any ideas let me know, but i guess ill be hunkering down and taking a deep dive into documentation this week.

Hdez

Cadet
How in the world did you guys get this to work? I've gotten as far as installation of the plugin, but when I click on Manage, Java refuses to let me run the DSOP.jnlp due to security concerns (see pic. below) How do I get past this? When I registered with Asigra, the email I received stated: "You will receive another email with instructions on how to set up the Asigra Plugin for FreeNAS". I never got the second email. Does this email contain some sort of instructions or special Java version to be able to setup the DS-Operator and DS-Client?

Java.JPG

I'm a week old FreeNAS user and mainly PC user with no programming knowledge at all. I can fallow instructions very well though. That's how I got thus far with this Asigra installation.

My equipment:
iXsystems FREENAS-MINI-3.0-E
Version: FreeNAS-11.3-U3.2

Thanks

Kevin2020

Cadet
How in the world did you guys get this to work? I've gotten as far as installation of the plugin, but when I click on Manage, Java refuses to let me run the DSOP.jnlp due to security concerns (see pic. below) How do I get past this? When I registered with Asigra, the email I received stated: "You will receive another email with instructions on how to set up the Asigra Plugin for FreeNAS". I never got the second email. Does this email contain some sort of instructions or special Java version to be able to setup the DS-Operator and DS-Client?

View attachment 39873

I'm a week old FreeNAS user and mainly PC user with no programming knowledge at all. I can fallow instructions very well though. That's how I got thus far with this Asigra installation.

My equipment:
iXsystems FREENAS-MINI-3.0-E
Version: FreeNAS-11.3-U3.2

Thanks

You need to add a Java exception for the URL that is being denied, i.e. http://192.168.100.48, in this scenario. For information on how to do this you can check this link out: https://java.com/en/download/faq/exception_sitelist.xml

Hdez

Cadet
Thank you @Kevin2020. I tried adding this exception and it didn't work because I included just the IP address without the http://. I'll try it this way and will keep you posted of any other issues I encounter.

Thanks again.

Hdez

Cadet
I added the exception to Java and was able to complete the setup following @danb35's guide. This is what I have:

DS-Operator.JPG

All I need now is the DS-Client for my Windows machine. I'm still waiting for the second email from Asigra. Is that where I get the Client software mentioned by danb35?

Thanks

Kevin2020

Cadet
I added the exception to Java and was able to complete the setup following @danb35's guide. This is what I have:

View attachment 39920

All I need now is the DS-Client for my Windows machine. I'm still waiting for the second email from Asigra. Is that where I get the Client software mentioned by danb35?

Thanks
Check your junk folder, may it is there.

Kevin2020

Cadet
Another note: I'm using windows server as client in one site and I had problems using the ds-client because of Java. To work I had to use adoptOpenJDK. I've installed it on iwndows because it's a DC and have access to all network. From that DC, I can make backups of network share even using if that share is using linux OS. As far as I understand it, 1 client can manage an entire network of computers, as long as it can access them.
A Windows DS-Client will be required to backup platforms on the LAN that are Windows based. You can also use the Windows DS-Client to backup VMware, Shares and Cloud apps such as G Suite, O365 and Sales Force, among other enterprise applications and databases. If there are any UNIX based sources on the LAN, then you will also need a Linux DS-Client to back them up. A Linux DS-Client can also be used to backup VMware, NAS and a number of Database. After you have installed the DS-Client you will be able to see a list of sources it is able to backup.

SecCon

Contributor
While this looks interesting I could not help noticing that "iphone" is not mentioned in the linked manuals. Maybe not such a big surprise, but it would have made my life simpler due to repetitive icloud storage issues for a few work phones, which demands a personalized icloud account. I assume devices include phones since Android is mentioned.

I am surprised by the selection of Asigra, being Java based. With Oracles new'ish license approaches many companies seems to move away from Java, I know that my employer (Daimler) has replaced Java Runtimes based on JWS within its corporate environment with Open Web Start (https://openwebstart.com/) , that effectively affects all the software involved in manufacturing and servicing Mercedes-Benz, Freightliner, Smart and a few more vehicle brands. Personally I don't touch Java at all if I can find something else.