Arggg Permissions! (Coming from OMV)

garyi

Dabbler
Hello

I really want to use FreeNAS but the permissions blows my mind.

I have created my pools and for testing I have created a new dataset. Called it music.

I have started SMB and created a share of that data set and said I want guest access and only guest.

In OMV this enables network access from devices to the share without user name and password. I really want this, I do not want to enter user name and password just to access music files.

Not only can I not copy to the share, I cannot even access it because I dont have permission, from PC, on mac its even worse it just dissapears as soon as I click it and says its not there!

I know for the initiated and clever admins this is all trivial, but for home gamers its all rather complicated. Is there a clear and simple guid somewhere (does not appear to be the official documentation sorry)

garyi

Dabbler
I tried to follow this guide, obviously my GUI looks different but he has access to stuff I dont. for instance permissions in groups I dont see any of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxggaE935PM&t=195s

I went into the legacy interface and same issue, there is no buttons to change p;ermission settings etc with groups I created.

This is unnecessarily complicated.

garyi

Dabbler
Hi there,

Guest login works just fine on OMV under the latest windows and indeed on mac.

I tried creating a normal login any how and it still failed with either I do mot have permission or access denied.

I will need to get the output later as I am not a native Terminal Guy,

KrisBee

Wizard
@garyi Were you using ext4 to store your data on OMV? FreeNAS with zfs supports the more complete/complex NFSv4 ACLs which explain the difference.

garyi

Dabbler
Hi can someone give me the specific command to enter. I am in terminal logged in as root

garyi

Dabbler
OK slow progress. I can now at least get a share working but without guest rights. It turns out I have to change permissions on the whole storage pool? This seems totally counter intuative but there we are. By setting that away from Root to the user account I set up, I can now access the dataset/shares in that pool. Thats good.

But allow guest access and/or only guest access have completely the opposite effect on mac and PC, you cannot login as a guest or as the User, it totally does not work. So it would appear I just have to accept that all files have to be behind a password. I get the idea of security but its a step to far for me, all I am protecting is progressive rock FLacs and Family Guy. If someone has gained access to my network to nick these then I have far bigger issues.

FWIW on OMV the drives were formatted as ZFS I believe. not EXT 4 anyhow.

garyi

Dabbler
One other thing these shares do not show in windows network discovery or in the mac finder, or at least something does show in mac finder but when you click it it immediately disappears but you can access it from finder and goto server.

Not ideal, but at this stage I will take any small victory.

Glorious1

Guru
@garyi it sounds like you want everyone to have full access to the music dataset. I would suggest going into the share settings and dataset settings and setting everything to default 777 (anyone can do anything), and make sure you make that apply recursively to existing files.

Beyond that I may have lost track of what your problem is.

garyi

Dabbler
Hi there thank you for your help.

I am going to have to admit defeat here. I am aware of my limitation and at 44 years of age I should be knowing better when it gets me this stressed. So I have reverted to OMV.

I suppose as years have gone on I want to understand more, and equally I want things to 'just work'. Having to get ones head around permissions requires a lot of understanding which is just beyond my capabilities obviously.

Having set that aside I thought I would try and install Plex, which meant going into the jails thing there and I could feel the blood boil again :)

So I am out, and I apologise to those that have responded, it was not my intention to waste every ones time, but I have to protect my blood pressure :)

In fairness, FreeNAS is clearly enterprise level stuff. I want to be part of that, I have run Untangle for years for instance. But I think it far to say FreeNAS is for those with a deep interest on Sysadmins.