Permissions on Volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceBoosteR

Guru
Hello all,

as you can see, I am new to FreeNAS, but I have some questions, which could not be answered though monkeys guides or the documentation.
First thing is, what permissions should be set on the volume itself? Should it be root and wheel? Is this recommended?
Second, why can root access every share which is created? Is this a default and recommended? I only want the users I have created have access to the shares and root should only do "root things" and not accesss the data.

Thank you.

m0nkey_

MVP
Root is the system manager account and therefore has access to everything. Ideally, you should be only using this account when you need to make system changes and use a strong password. You should not be using the root account to access Samba shares.

Typically, you only set permissions on datasets you create. Do not modify the permissions of the zpool root mount (i.e. /mnt/tank) as you might break things.

IceBoosteR

Guru
Root is the system manager account and therefore has access to everything. Ideally, you should be only using this account when you need to make system changes and use a strong password. You should not be using the root account to access Samba shares.

Typically, you only set permissions on datasets you create. Do not modify the permissions of the zpool root mount (i.e. /mnt/tank) as you might break things.

Hello m0nkey_,
first of all, thank you for the grate videos you have made - they really helped a lot!
So of course I will not use root to access my data as this is very negligently. But I thoght, its maybe a mistake when I set up the system. Thanks for clarification.

Okey, I understand. So it is not relevant, which permission is set on the volume itself (/mnt/tank), right?
I dont wanna change this, I want to set up the system once (now trying everything before data comes on the NAS) and dont want to change it then.

Cheers
IceBoosteR

Last edited:

pasiz

Explorer
Okey, I understand. So it is not relevant, which permission is set on the volume itself (/mnt/tank), right?
I dont wanna change this, I want to set up the system once (now trying everything before data comes on the NAS) and dont want to change it then.

Permissions are something you can change easily (and most probably will in the future). Permissions define who can view and write files or see directory contents. Plan your accounts (for services also), make groups an be secure ;)

IceBoosteR

Guru
/deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.