APC UPS Log Messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faluzure

Explorer
So I'm letting my system burn in but I still check it out periodically. The UPS I'm using is the APC Back-UPS ES 725 Broadband and it works (I've done the "on-battery" tests). Even the 'upsc' command spits out all the details about the UPS. However, I've noticed in the logs (plus the kernel security emails) that I periodically get the following:

Nov 11 09:18:46 FreeNAS root: Unknown USB device: vendor 0x051d product 0x0002 bus uhub3

AND:

FreeNAS.HOME kernel log messages:
> ugen1.4: <APC> at usbus1
> ugen1.4: <APC> at usbus1 (disconnected)
> ugen1.4: <APC> at usbus1 (disconnected)

For the 1st issue, I've been looking in the FreeNAS Bugs site and found 2 things related.

The bug was mentioned here: https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/3768 , which involved upgrading the NUT subsystem. But for some the issue still persisted. But the issue was closed, as it was referred to another bug tracker: https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/2548

In #2548, it doesn't list the same kind of problem. It's a driver error problem on that one but still involves a NUT subsystem upgrade. The target version is 9.3. My question is, is there any issues with upgrading NUT by itself? Will it affect anything that 9.3 does, when it's released?

As for the latter issue, I'm not sure what's going on there. It does it for < 1 second and only happens every couple hours. Looking around on the forums, I've found others having this issue, but it's accompanied by either a "connection failure/connection refusal" or "communications lost" message. I get none of those. Just simply the < 1 second usb disconnections. I've checked the cable and even tried a different USB port for the APC, but I still get those messages periodically. Although it's not hurting anything, I would just like to get rid of (fix) random log messages pertaining to the UPS. Any comments on that message?

Fraoch

Patron
That's annoying. This is a long shot, but have you upgraded the firmware in the UPS recently? The older firmware in my Smart-UPS didn't work well with FreeNAS at all, I updated it and haven't had a problem since.

Worth trying anyway.

Faluzure

Explorer
That's annoying. This is a long shot, but have you upgraded the firmware in the UPS recently? The older firmware in my Smart-UPS didn't work well with FreeNAS at all, I updated it and haven't had a problem since.

Worth trying anyway.

I have looked for the firmware on my model of UPS, but APC's page doesn't list it. Specifically, my model is BE725BB (a Back-UPS ES). The only "BE" model are the 650 & 750 respectively.

Like I said, it's not broken (as FreeNAS detects it) but one of my peeves is just seeing a nagging error. On the flipside, I got this UPS out of our work's electronics recycling drive. We throw away a lot of electronic stuff every year. It's a perfectly good UPS.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I have looked for the firmware on my model of UPS, but APC's page doesn't list it. Specifically, my model is BE725BB (a Back-UPS ES). The only "BE" model are the 650 & 750 respectively.

Like I said, it's not broken (as FreeNAS detects it) but one of my peeves is just seeing a nagging error. On the flipside, I got this UPS out of our work's electronics recycling drive. We throw away a lot of electronic stuff every year. It's a perfectly good UPS.

The solution was hacky, so I've been waiting for 9.3 since August-ish.

I don't think APC has firmware updates for lower-end stuff. My Back-UPS Pro doesn't even have any mention of firmware updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.