UPS Recomendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mynorx

Explorer
I think I've failed in obtaining a compatible UPS. I got model APC BACK - UPS Pro 1500 I thought it was compatible by looking at the NUT specs. I also saw a reviewer on neweggs site stating that he had purchased this model and was compatible with freenas.
complete model #
APC Back-UPS Pro BR1500G 1500VA 865W 10 Outlets Power Saving Back-UPS Pro
Supplier part Back-UPS RS 1500VA

I configured it by using these instructions
http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/UPS

I'm not beast at SHELL or viewing the console messages like some of you guys, but I do have a few messages that I've searched for, that lead me to believe that I made an incompatible purchase.
Ive set PORT to /dev/ugen1.4 (that's the port that pops up on the console when I plug the ups in the usb port) and have tried several of the drivers as well. I didn't mess with any of the other settings theres a user name and password listed, I left that alone.

messages on the console:
Sep 4 10:21:53 freenas kernel: ugen1.4: <American Power Conversion> at usbus1
Sep 4 10:27:13 freenas notifier: nut not running? (check /var/db/nut/upsd.pid).
Sep 4 10:27:13 freenas notifier: nut_upsmon not running? (check /var/db/nut/upsmon.pid).
Sep 4 10:27:13 freenas notifier: nut_upslog not running? (check /var/db/nut/upslog.pid).
Sep 4 10:27:13 freenas notifier: Will not 'restart' nut because nut_enable is NO.
Sep 4 10:27:13 freenas notifier: Will not 'restart' nut_upsmon because nut_upsmon_enable is NO.
Sep 4 10:27:13 freenas notifier: Will not 'restart' nut_upslog because nut_upslog_enable is NO.
Sep 4 10:28:04 freenas notifier: nut not running? (check /var/db/nut/upsd.pid).
Sep 4 10:28:04 freenas notifier: nut_upsmon not running? (check /var/db/nut/upsmon.pid).
Sep 4 10:28:04 freenas notifier: nut_upslog not running? (check /var/db/nut/upslog.pid).
Sep 4 10:28:04 freenas notifier: Will not 'restart' nut because nut_enable is NO.
Sep 4 10:28:04 freenas notifier: Will not 'restart' nut_upsmon because nut_upsmon_enable is NO.
Sep 4 10:28:04 freenas notifier: Will not 'restart' nut_upslog because nut_upslog_enable is NO.
Sep 4 10:28:45 freenas notifier: nut not running? (check /var/db/nut/upsd.pid).
Sep 4 10:28:45 freenas notifier: nut_upsmon not running? (check /var/db/nut/upsmon.pid).
Sep 4 10:28:45 freenas notifier: nut_upslog not running? (check /var/db/nut/upslog.pid).
Sep 4 10:28:45 freenas notifier: Will not 'restart' nut because nut_enable is NO.
Sep 4 10:28:45 freenas notifier: Will not 'restart' nut_upsmon because nut_upsmon_enable is NO.
Sep 4 10:28:45 freenas notifier: Will not 'restart' nut_upslog because nut_upslog_enable is NO.

anyone have any recommendations on a compatible unit?. I don't trust the NUT list any more. Thanks

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Did you start the NUT service? It seems to be stopped.

Mynorx

Explorer
Heres the print screen

Attachments

• nut.jpg
    nut.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 475

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
LOL you have to start it? I'm guessing its a command because I don't see a check box or drop down menu. Let me check that out

Go to services and turn UPS (or was it NUT?) on.

Mynorx

Explorer
Ok after digging around a little more, I went to the services tab DUH..... and ran into UPS. Started trying out a few different drivers and finally I got a message on the console that it started the service. unplugged the ups and 30 seconds later it started shutdown process. so I guess it does work, that's a relief. I've got my volume set up to raidz2 and I've also created some shares that need data.

works with driver
"APC ups 2 Back-UPS RS USB USB (usbhid-ups)"

BTW now I see this message
Sep 4 14:47:44 freenas upsd[2510]: Data for UPS [ups] is stale - check driver
Sep 4 14:47:46 freenas upsd[2510]: UPS [ups] data is no longer stale

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Ok after digging around a little more, I went to the services tab DUH..... and ran into UPS. Started trying out a few different drivers and finally I got a message on the console that it started the service. unplugged the ups and 30 seconds later it started shutdown process. so I guess it does work, that's a relief. I've got my volume set up to raidz2 and I've also created some shares that need data.

works with driver
"APC ups 2 Back-UPS RS USB USB (usbhid-ups)"

BTW now I see this message
Sep 4 14:47:44 freenas upsd[2510]: Data for UPS [ups] is stale - check driver
Sep 4 14:47:46 freenas upsd[2510]: UPS [ups] data is no longer stale

There's a fix somewhere in the forums, but it's hacky and hidden away in some corner. I haven't gone to the trouble of implementing it on my system yet. 9.3 is supposed to have it included.

Mynorx

Explorer
There's a fix somewhere in the forums, but it's hacky and hidden away in some corner. I haven't gone to the trouble of implementing it on my system yet. 9.3 is supposed to have it included.

I did run into some threads where it stated this problem. We'll just wait for 9.3

Thanks for the help.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I did run into some threads where it stated this problem. We'll just wait for 9.3

Thanks for the help.

Do keep in mind that it's not expected until January at the earliest. It'll probably be a bit longer.

Mynorx

Explorer
Do keep in mind that it's not expected until January at the earliest. It'll probably be a bit longer.

I thought it was due in October? I was thinking I don't need to run 24/7 I'll power it down in the evening and turn it on when I get to work. We don't have many power failures' out here so if something does happen the battery will kick on and I should be able to power it down.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I thought it was due in October? I was thinking I don't need to run 24/7 I'll power it down in the evening and turn it on when I get to work. We don't have many power failures' out here so if something does happen the battery will kick on and I should be able to power it down.

Don't worry about it not working, it reconnects after a few seconds. As for the release date, I'm afraid it's not October.

Mynorx

Explorer
Don't worry about it not working, it reconnects after a few seconds. As for the release date, I'm afraid it's not October.

When the console stated that the data was stale, I disconnected and it displayed that it was on battery, re-connected and it detected that it was back on line power. So I guess its not that big of a deal. This battery seems to be pretty hefty. It states that it will run for 90mins.

FNSeeker

Dabbler
Just to confirm what Myrnorx wrote some 6 months ago.

'APC Back-UPS XXX Pro series work with 'APC ups 2 Back-UPS RS USB USB (usbhid-ups)'.

However, this is contrary to the advice of using 'apcsmart' as I had originally followed based on http://www.networkupstools.org/stable-hcl.html

Anyway, several hours later with several scripts tried, tested and a few lost hairs on my head, I tried what Myrnorx said. And voila. It works.

I suspect it's a case of mis-labelling, perhaps, in FreeNAS.

This post is to help clarify the driver for APC Back-UPS XXX Pro series under 9.3 stable version.

Mynorx

Explorer
Hello Im glad that worked out for you. I would like to give an update for this. After having upgraded to 9.3 a few weeks ago it was all working perfectly fine. This past Monday I come in to my office and find that the NAS keeps rebooting every few minutes and that my UPS keeps rebooting as well, its going from on line to battery then reboot.

I though that it was damaged so I call up customer service they determined that the unit was faulty. Something did not sit right with me and after the phone call. I decided to start some more trouble shooting. I disconnected the UPS from the USB port and it stopped rebooting. I plug back the UPS to the USB and it starts acting up again. So I left it unplugged for the rest of the day.

Today I had some time and went in to the freenas ups settings and changed the driver from (
APC ups 2 Back-UPS RS USB USB (usbhid-ups) ) To; ( APC ups 2 Back-UPS Pro USB USB (usbhid-ups) ) it seems to have resolved all issues including the stale driver updates I kept getting. Hope that helps someone

FNSeeker

Dabbler
Thank you for your post.

Following your advice, I switched to APC ups 2 Back-UPS Pro USB USB and I no longer receive the 'stale driver' msg.

So thank you again for your strong sense of community sharing.

Cheers

jmatt3685

Dabbler
Today I had some time and went in to the freenas ups settings and changed the driver from (
APC ups 2 Back-UPS RS USB USB (usbhid-ups) ) To; ( APC ups 2 Back-UPS Pro USB USB (usbhid-ups) ) it seems to have resolved all issues including the stale driver updates I kept getting. Hope that helps someone

Mynorx, I have been struggling with setting up my UPS for 3 days now... this worked perfectly for me!!! I just wanted to say thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.