Another Linux thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris crude

Patron
My Ubuntu VM wont boot after recent internal updates to it. My FreeNas is up to date with stable, not upgraded to beta. I have read that latest Linux updates doesnt like older FreeNas, Beta should fix it. Anyone have experience or verification of this?
Thanks in advance.

Rusty!

Dabbler
I've stopped my Ubuntu VM booting a few times when updating it. Just requires a tweak to the location of the EFI boot file.

trevorb

Dabbler
Check in /var/log/middlewared.log to see if it has an error:
VMService.__init_guest_vmemory():830 - ===> Cannot guarantee memory for guest id: 1

It appears to be an issue with 11.2beta1, but is closed in the Bug reports.......

D

dlavigne

Check in /var/log/middlewared.log to see if it has an error:
VMService.__init_guest_vmemory():830 - ===> Cannot guarantee memory for guest id: 1

It appears to be an issue with 11.2beta1, but is closed in the Bug reports.......

Ticket number?

trevorb

Dabbler
Looks like it was fixed for BETA2 in the duplicate issue for 34330:
That looks like it just displays a descriptive message and doesn't fix the underlying problem.
Happy to test over the weekend.

chris crude

Patron
OK, i was on vacation and didnt go into enough detail.

Mobo= Supermicro X11SSM-F-O
CPU= Xeon E3-1240v5
10Gbps= Intel E10G42BTDA Server Adapter X520-DA1
RAM= 2xSamsung M391A2K43BB1-CPB 16GB DDR4-2133 ECC Un-Buffer LP Server Memory
HDD= 5x3TB WD Red ZFS1 pool
SSD= 50GB boot drive, 2x250GB VM mirror

Had Ubuntu VM running for a year, didnt manually change locaton of boot file, used the boot repair .iso to fix it for me.
Recent Ubuntu updates killed my boot, nothing to do with changes in FreeNas
I read a few threads here about how the latest Linux kernals didnt play nice with FreeNas VM, BETA should fix it.
if I update to BETA, will my VM magically start working? Will i need to re-install the VM?. Should I fix my current situation? Update then fix?
Thanks in advance.

KrisBee

Wizard
@chris crude Personally, I wouldn't update to the 11.2 Beta at the moment. There's a thread somewhere which shows how a non-booting Ubuntu VM after a kernel update was fixed to run in FN 11.1-U5. In basic terms you want to boot the previous working kernel.

trevorb

Dabbler
Happy to test over the weekend.
I remoted in and updated to Beta2 and rebooted whilst away (couldn't wait).
Checking today and all is well. VM still running, bad plugin installs (using later release than base version - different issue) all running. Dashboard quicker and IMHO much nicer (other UI components appear quicker as well).
Happy camper so far!
PS. My VM is Ubuntu 16.04 server

Status
Not open for further replies.