VirtualBox JAIL no longer starting VMs since update

Status
Not open for further replies.

csjjpm

Contributor
I applied all the latest 9.10.1 updates on Tuesday and now none of my VMs will load. I get an error 'The virtual machine '(Name of VM here)' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1'.

I've created a new JAIL using the VirtualBox template and tried to install a new VM of any OS (Linux/BSD/Windows) and get the same error.

Does anyone know if there is an easy fix?

Alternatively can I roll back my Freenas updates to before yesterday?

danb35

Hall of Famer
I wouldn't say "arbitrarily", as it sounds like there was a decent reason for it, but "without announcement, warning, or community discussion" would be accurate. There isn't even a hint in the changelog of any change involving VirtualBox.

csjjpm

Contributor
You are sh*ting me! They've "without announcement, warning, or community discussion" removed support for it.

D

dlavigne

It's slated to be removed for 9.10.2, which won't happen until after 9.10.1-U2 is out. Apparantly the template was contributed some time ago, unmaintained by the contributor and subsequent jail fixes and the move to the 10 ABI borked it (which is why it's slated for removal).

csjjpm

Contributor
I'm looking forward to the new virtualisation in 10 but the completed version isn't due out until Feb 2017 so what were we supposed to do until then!?

danb35

Hall of Famer
It's slated to be removed for 9.10.2, which won't happen until after 9.10.1-U2 is out.
That may have been the plan, but it's pretty clear something significant happened with the release of -U1, breaking the VirtualBox jail for a fair number of users.

Visseroth

Guru
I can attest, broken here too. Unexpected error code 1. I use there virtual machines to do monitoring, logging, remote access (since the server runs 24/7), ect and now without warning it's broke.
Yes, it needs to be upgraded, yes it needs to be patched but couldn't someone have just at least allowed it until the new 10 release and given us a way to migrate our current VMs?

So, now the question is how can we go about patching what we have to make it work until the new release is out in about 6 months.

danb35

Hall of Famer

rafadavidc

Dabbler
Well, that sucks hard. "Warning, will break your VirtualBox jails!" would have been nice. Jesus.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Well, that sucks hard.
Couldn't even read the post right above yours? Yes, it's a bug. You can fix it, in the interim, by reverting to the previous boot environment. The update for a permanent fix should be out tomorrow.

crimsondr

Dabbler
Is there a fix? I just upgraded to 9.10.2 and none of my VMs will start. Reverted to 9.10.1 and everything is running again for now.

Visseroth

Guru
Same here, I also reverted back.

Smarley

Explorer
I had the same problem today.
After upgrade to 9.10.2
Thanks for your reply, I will try to reverte and hope that works.

It´s just click on Activate on Boot Menu?

Visseroth

Guru
Yep, System -> Boot -> select the version you want to boot to and click 'Activate' and then reboot.
I had the same problem on 9.10.2 and I reverted, I am just now trying the 9.10.2-U(what ever update this one is)

Visseroth

Guru
Eh, 9.2.10-U1 gives error 1 when trying to start a VM

toy4x4

Cadet
Thanks for the above info. I reverted back and all is good. Is there a fix planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.