Advice on First FreeNAS Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisolson09

Dabbler
Hi All,

I'm brand new to the forum and this is literally my first post. I've been researching and reading a ton about what I need to know about FreeNAS and building a quality system that is compatible with FreeNAS. I did the bulk of my research earlier in the year and I thought that I had my build narrowed down. I was just waiting for the components to go on sale. I finally saw the ASRock C2750D4I on sale and I was going to pull the trigger. I happened to be looking on the forums though and saw tons and tons of posts about these failing all of a sudden after only a year or so. I'm very grateful that I checked and saw this before buying but needless to say I feel like I'm back to square one when it comes to choosing my build. I'm very hesitant to go with the C2750D4I with all the issue that they are having. My problem is though when I did my research they were very highly talked about and fit exactly what I was looking for (a miniITX compatible board with a processor that was capable of doing some transcoding).

Now though I'm not sure what route I should look at. I really want to stick with the miniITX cases (particularly the Fractal Design Node 304) but I'm not aware of what quality boards and processors are out there that would fit those cases and still have the power to do some transcoding. I mainly want my NAS for plex and time machine backups.

The build that I was looking at previously is below. I'd greatly appreciate it if you guys could give me your thoughts on where I should go from here in light of all the issues with ASRock C2750DI's

ASRock C2750D4I
Crucial 8GB Single DDR3L 1600MT/s PC3-12800 DR x8 ECC UDIMM 240-Pin Server Memory CT102472BD160B
Seasonic SSR-360GP 360W 80Plus Gold power supply
Fractal Design Node 304 case
WD Red Nas 4tb drives

Thank you all in advance for your comments and the knowledge I've already gained from all of you.

Chris

joeschmuck

Old Man
Is there any particular reason you want to stay with the Mini-ITX form factor? Some people have space limitations, others just like the small size. If yours is purely from a personal preference, I would recommend that you consider a case slightly larger that can accommodate a Micro ATX board (what I have). If you already have an old case, well for now that would allow you to build up the system while investigating more cases but in general, one case is the same as another case, with one exception... The quality of the construction. You either have cheap thin metal cases which are very flimsy but light weight or you have a heavy gauge steel case which is not very light but is very rugged. My case is the former. I picked my specific case not because it looks good (I think it's god an ugly front face) but rather because it can breath and flow air into and out of the case without issue, and the steel case will last me a lifetime, well until I sell it or give it away. Also, I purchased my case around the motherboard I wanted and the number of drives I may want in the future. Lets face it, cases are not cheap unless you buy a cheap quality one. You do get what you pay for but honestly, a case should not cost as much as they charge for one. It's only a few sheets of metal and a few fans and maybe a USB port interface.

So my advice is, if you can see your way getting a Micro ATX board, well then buy a case that works for you. By the way, my system is so quiet that I can't hear it unless I go down to the basement where it's located :D. But seriously, I can only hear the fans when my ear is right next to the system. It's quiet.

Someone may be able to point you to a different Mini-ITX board but the one you were looking at was probably the best choice, except for the problems it's having.

Stux

MVP
A suitable replacement for an Avoton in a mini itx build would be a 4 or 6 core Xeon D board.

(More powerful and betterer)

Dice

Wizard
A suitable replacement for an Avoton in a mini itx build would be a 4 or 6 core Xeon D board.

(More powerful and betterer)
What's cost premium for moving from a Avoton to a Xeon D at your local market?
I've not been able to find any resellers in Scandinavica.

Stux

MVP
Last I checked, circa the same.

Dice

Wizard

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
thnx.
Also: What the he.......... :mad::mad:
You know the world has gone crazy when the Australian guy is not the one complaining about hardware prices.

Stux

MVP
I ordered my last motherboard from newegg.com.au ;)

It's the American site, but they've organized some sort of bulk shipping deal thing

Stux

MVP
I ordered my last motherboard from newegg.com.au ;)

It's the American site, but they've organized some sort of bulk shipping deal thing
Asrock C2750D4i is currently $450 at newegg. Xeon D 4/8 core/thread (bout equivalent of an Avoton 8 core is 489$.

But

http://www.wiredzone.com/supermicro...rds-single-processor-x10sdv-4c-tln4f-10025822

Has a 4 core with 10gbaseT networking for 478$.

http://www.wiredzone.com/supermicro...s-embedded-processor-x10sdv-4c-tln4f-10026014

Or $484 with fan. (Recommended)

Much better than a c2750. And it is cheap to go to 64GB vs with the Avoton. The Xeon D boards also have a 4x m2 slot.

So. Circa the same :)

Last edited:

Dice

Wizard
You know the world has gone crazy when the Australian guy is not the one complaining about hardware prices.
yeah well, I purchased a ~600USD SC847 ...and paid ~550USD shipping and import fees - still considered it a bargain x)

chrisolson09

Dabbler
Is there any particular reason you want to stay with the Mini-ITX form factor? Some people have space limitations, others just like the small size. If yours is purely from a personal preference, I would recommend that you consider a case slightly larger that can accommodate a Micro ATX board (what I have). If you already have an old case, well for now that would allow you to build up the system while investigating more cases but in general, one case is the same as another case, with one exception... The quality of the construction. You either have cheap thin metal cases which are very flimsy but light weight or you have a heavy gauge steel case which is not very light but is very rugged. My case is the former. I picked my specific case not because it looks good (I think it's god an ugly front face) but rather because it can breath and flow air into and out of the case without issue, and the steel case will last me a lifetime, well until I sell it or give it away. Also, I purchased my case around the motherboard I wanted and the number of drives I may want in the future. Lets face it, cases are not cheap unless you buy a cheap quality one. You do get what you pay for but honestly, a case should not cost as much as they charge for one. It's only a few sheets of metal and a few fans and maybe a USB port interface.

So my advice is, if you can see your way getting a Micro ATX board, well then buy a case that works for you. By the way, my system is so quiet that I can't hear it unless I go down to the basement where it's located :D. But seriously, I can only hear the fans when my ear is right next to the system. It's quiet.

Someone may be able to point you to a different Mini-ITX board but the one you were looking at was probably the best choice, except for the problems it's having.

Thanks for taking the time to give me your input, I really appreciate. It is a little bit of both. I want to put it up in my office so i'm a little bit limited on space and I just like the small size of the mini-ITX cases as well. I'll definitely check what other options are out ther.

chrisolson09

Dabbler
And thank you to everyone else for their replies! They are all very helpful. From what I'm seeing the next best option seems to be that SuperMicro board with the Xeon D board unless I want to move up to a Micro ATX form factor. If you all have any more input that you feel would helpful I would definitely welcome it!

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Is it a challenge to get the fans to fit in the space available in ITX cases? I'd hope there is some sort of standard for fan space, but am also a realist.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Is it a challenge to get the fans to fit in the space available in ITX cases? I'd hope there is some sort of standard for fan space, but am also a realist.
Well, fan sizes are standardized (nearly everything is 25mm thick), so there's not much beyond that. Worst case, access to the fans might require some disassembly.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I think the case is the most important part to consider once you have figured out how many drives you will need. Okay, I really don't think there is a single "most important part", they are all important. Cooling every component has to be a priority but so many users, especially noobs, tend to believe that if the case has a slot to fit it, well the case must have been designed properly. Unfortunately that isn't always the case (not punning around). These ITX and small type cases are generally poor in design for air flow and are likely better suited for low power machines that generate little heat.

Anyway, I just had to jump on my soap box (old folks like me will understand the reference).

Status
Not open for further replies.