Seeking advice on build: performance vs energy savings+silence

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I personally don't recommend them because of their shady practices the last 6 months or so.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Cyberjock,

would it be risky to trust the memory manufacturer's memory validation list?
http://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search?DeviceType=7&Mfr=ASR&Line=Server Board&Model=87323

I've never had a problem with a (consumer/desktop) system and I always use Kingston's memory search. With a server, I understand it's more picky with memory compatibility, so is the list provided by the memory manufacturer (in this case, Kingston) trustworthy?
I personally don't recommend them because of their shady practices the last 6 months or so.

Kingston is pretty much the worst choice at the moment. Some of their memory is known-bad (albeit with Supermicro motherboards).

The real problem, though, as Cyberjock mentioned, are their shady practices - quietly replacing components with (probably) cheaper ones without changing model numbers. The very same memory that did not work was on their compatibility list, until one day they just removed it.

anRossi

Dabbler
Woah! I had no idea that Kingston's reputation had declined so drastically.
I haven't bought any memory for a couple years now, but they were always my go-to brand since I've never heard of any issues, nor had any.
So if I should be avoiding them like the plague, who's the new Golden Boy that I should be buying? Crucial?

By the way, Caspar, I am so sorry for hijacking your thread. I hope you are getting some use out of it still...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Woah! I had no idea that Kingston's reputation had declined so drastically.
I haven't bought any memory for a couple years now, but they were always my go-to brand since I've never heard of any issues, nor had any.
So if I should be avoiding them like the plague, who's the new Golden Boy that I should be buying? Crucial?

By the way, Caspar, I am so sorry for hijacking your thread. I hope you are getting some use out of it still...

At least for me, Crucial is the easier one to acquire. There's also Hynix and Samsung. In any case, it's best to stick to the motherboard's compatibility list.

Status
Not open for further replies.