BUILD Advice and Suggestions on a Freenas build

Status
Not open for further replies.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I think i'm going to enroll in a class on freenas and study some more to get a better understanding of things before I start buying parts as all of this is still a bit confusing. I just wanted to thank everyone who took the time to reply with suggestions and advice. Thanks again for the help it was much appreciated.
Its not that confusing when you break it down.

You have a computer with a bunch of disks. The operating system will combine all those disks to form one big pool of storage. That storage gets shared out over the network and your client computers (desktops/laptops) can connect to the storage and use it to store and retrieve files. In the case of windows you can map a drive letter to a share for ease of use.

Anything you can do on a hard drive installed in your desktop you can do on a network attached storage share (within reason). To you, the client, it is just more storage space.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Thanks for taking the time to reply I appreciate it, i'm definitely going to go with a small form factor case (Fractal Design Node 804), but im not sure on which supermicro board to go with as eric wasn't specific on which board to pick, just saying to pick a supermicro board but I guess i'll have to figure it out myself.
I have a guide which explains all the major Supermicro X10 LGA1150 boards. It's linked in the FAQ.

marbus90

Guru
I don't think i'll need a xeon as i'm just going to be using the nas for storing my files, streaming music and and tv shows from another computer (if possible), and not really doing anything too intensive to need such an expensive cpu. Thanks for taking the time to reply I do appreciate it.
You're free to chooose whatever CPU you like. The whole rest of the build is still valid. My preference is just Xeons. Either you need some power -> Xeon, or don't need it -> G32xx series, a CPU of maybe 50 bucks, which doesn't hurt the bugdet at all. Anyways, there were nasty surprises with non-Xeons in the past, so I'd prefer them.

Status
Not open for further replies.