Add user results in KDB: enter: panic

GumShoeNoir

Dabbler
My hardware configuration;

1618259503449.png

Over the last couple days, I've installed Truenas 12.0-U2.1 many times. Today I've (re)installed it four times in a successful effort to get consistent repeatable yet undesired results. Each time shortly after reinstall, I created a user, I got a crash after clicking submit resulting in a system that would not boot as it continued to exception. Each time I reinstalled I formatted the boot environment rather than saving the current / previous boot environment. I'm using a pair of 240gig SSDs to boot. Note; I'm using those inexpensive 3tb drives just to get my feet wet, I'll step up to some NAS rated drives later. FWIW I use WD Red in a couple linux software raid systems on debian buster and Fedora fc.22 many moons ago.

Is it customary to upgrade FreeBSD from the shell? freebsd-update

I attached a compressed mobile phone screen capture of the boot. "Compressed Truenas Crash.zip"

I'd be up for perhaps some newer hardware I believe the SSDs are attached to sata 2 ports.

Attachments

• Compressed Truenas Crash.zip
    13.6 MB · Views: 126

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
My hardware configuration;

View attachment 46473

Over the last couple days, I've installed Truenas 12.0-U2.1 many times. Today I've (re)installed it four times in a successful effort to get consistent repeatable yet undesired results. Each time shortly after reinstall, I created a user, I got a crash after clicking submit resulting in a system that would not boot as it continued to exception. Each time I reinstalled I formatted the boot environment rather than saving the current / previous boot environment. I'm using a pair of 240gig SSDs to boot. Note; I'm using those inexpensive 3tb drives just to get my feet wet, I'll step up to some NAS rated drives later. FWIW I use WD Red in a couple linux software raid systems on debian buster and Fedora fc.22 many moons ago.

Is it customary to upgrade FreeBSD from the shell? freebsd-update

I attached a compressed mobile phone screen capture of the boot. "Compressed Truenas Crash.zip"

I'd be up for perhaps some newer hardware I believe the SSDs are attached to sata 2 ports.
Can you PM me a debug file? System->Advanced->Save Debug?

GumShoeNoir

Dabbler
Hi @anodos The Freenas install in question no longer boots to completion, don't get access to the web gui. Does the Truenas underlying FreeBSD do an automatic fsck during boot? I don't think it even boots far enough for me to get a shell.

GumShoeNoir

Dabbler

The hardware seems it might be an issue. Strange that I've left it running a day, also created pool without panic. But each time I try creating a user I get the crash. For grins I tried installing Debian Buster, the install hung. I recall during the many (re)installs of Truenas I performed there were a couple freezes.

I'm not trussing the hardware, I have a thread in General->Hardware about my proposed motherboad upgrade.

See; Proposed Truenas Server Build Motherboard parts Selection comments and suggestions welcome.

I'm willing to at6tempt to get a debug dump file out of this build if iXsystems wants to investigate.

- Jeff

GumShoeNoir

Dabbler
Just for grins, this morning I attempted to create a user on a fresh install. Blam! Panic again.

Seems odd to me that it abends at that same spot.

If someone wants the dump file, I could probably attach it to a linux notebook by way of a USB-> SATA interface.

GumShoeNoir

Dabbler