add UPS connected to Synology NAS

no_connection

Patron
I might have a brainfart here but I can't figure out why I can not get remote UPS to work.

If I run from shell upsc ups@IP I get a response with all the data of the UPS just fine.
But when I try to start the UPS service I get:
Login on UPS [ups@IP:3493] failed - got [ERR ACCESS-DENIED]

no_connection

Patron
Is it not a supported configuration to have a UPS connected to another server and use FN in Slave mode?
Or is this a Synology problem? Although why would upsc command work fine but nothing else?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
ups@IP:3493 you are missing the ip address.

no_connection

Patron
I didn't type out the actual IP address since it's not my network but it is there replaced by the word IP, sorry for the confusion.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I didn't type out the actual IP address since it's not my network but it is there replaced by the word IP, sorry for the confusion.
Ok doesn't matter is an internal ip, everyone has the same ones.

Double check your user name and password. What is the cli cmd you used to test?

no_connection

Patron
There is no user name or password field for slave UPS.
Code:
root@FreeNAS:~ # upsc ups@192.168.11.132
ambient.temperature: 23
ambient.temperature.high: 40
battery.charge: 100
battery.runtime: 6380
battery.voltage:  39.3
device.mfr: Eaton

and so on. I would think that shuold be enough for it to work right? It's not like I want the FN box any write parameters to the UPS anyway.

On the Synology side there is not much to configure to do but the IP of FN is added to allow list.

Attachments

• upsconf.PNG
    upsconf.PNG
    51 KB · Views: 507

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
There is no user name or password field for slave UPS.
Code:
root@FreeNAS:~ # upsc ups@192.168.11.132
ambient.temperature: 23
ambient.temperature.high: 40
battery.charge: 100
battery.runtime: 6380
battery.voltage:  39.3
device.mfr: Eaton

and so on. I would think that shuold be enough for it to work right? It's not like I want the FN box any write parameters to the UPS anyway.

On the Synology side there is not much to configure to do but the IP of FN is added to allow list.
What do you mean there is no user or password? What are the monitor user and monitor passwords for?

no_connection

Patron
They are if you connect a slave to the box you are at, and in case it was using those fields anyway I did try to add correct username and password to those.

no_connection

Patron
Gonna bump this. I got it working fine on pfSense with the default username and password used by Synology for nut. But FreeNAS still don't seem to work correctly. It start fine with no errors, but there is no indication any UPS exist at all and reporting tab for UPS is empty.

Redcoat

MVP
As a point of reference for you - I have two Freenas 11.3-U3.1 boxes set up for slave UPS's from the master running on my pfSense box. The reporting tabs for UPS are both blank, but I do get shutdown functionality as expected and I do get UPS status emails from each FreeNAS box. The username and password on the UPS service configuration page are the FreeNAS defaults, ports on "auto".

thibodude

Cadet
I have the same issue here: Truenas upsc get a list of my ups but it I start the UPS in slave mode Truenas console I get err message:
Nov 25 22:18:03 truenas 1 2021-11-25T22:18:03.803203-05:00 truenas.local upsmon 35555 - - Login on UPS [ups@10.240.0.20:3493] failed - got [ERR ACCESS-DENIED]
I tried to connect my OpnSense fw to my synology ups server and it fails too.
HELP !