Add Storage in Plexmediaserver

Status
Not open for further replies.

husky1055

Dabbler
Latest freenas 9.10.2. There was an old thread about mount point and storage but I do not understand it.

I have struggled for 3 to 4 hours a day for a full week now so in desperation I am asking for help. I used the Plex plugin and Cosmo_Kramer tutorial for installing plex:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...all-plex-in-a-freenas-9-3-jail-updated.19412/

My setup is as follows:
Source: /mnt/Dell/Media/Media-Share
Destination: /mnt/Dell/jails/Media

And it worked fine since under Media-Share there is Media-Share/Bluray folder which has my movies. Plex was able to see and play bluray with no problem.
The problem occurred when I created/ added storage to add the Media-Share/Movies and/or Media-share/Music to the plexmediaserver.
Plex Player crashed, no access to Freenass. Tried again and again. Crashed and crashed.

So from a jail prompt ls -l /mnt I could not get 1001 and 1002 group and user ID. Instead I got root and wheel. Not sure how user and group are involved. I read and reread Cosmo_Kramer add storage and permission change section.
As a work around I could just add stuff to the bluray folder and that seems to work. I have spent so much time on it already so I really want it to work. I really do not have a clue on how to change permission using chmod or something else. I just don't understand it.
When I changed the source to /mnt/Dell/Media/Media-Share/Bluray as it should be. Plex does not work any more. What is going on here since bluray movies worked fine before.
I did create user and group ID. Not sure if that impact anything here. Thanks for any help.

Allan Wilmath

Explorer
I think it is your destination that is causing your problem.

When you create a mount point, the folder you are trying to use as the destination needs to be empty, if you check the 'create folder' then the folder also needs to not exist. Your targets should be something like /Media/Movies and /Media/Music.

I would also suggest placing all of the Media source folders in a single folder as well. /mnt/(pool name)/MediaStorage/Music, then ../MediaStorage/Movies, etc. Then you can manage the permissions on the single parent folder. Plex doesn't need to own the files or folders, you can just add plex and the user account that writes the files as members to a new group.

The simpler solution is to put all of you media in to a parent folder on your storage pool, and share the parent folder over, then when you create the libraries in Plex you can then select the appropriate child folders when creating each library. Then you only have to worry about linking one folder.

husky1055

Dabbler
Hi Allan, so my set up should look like:
Source: /mnt/dell/Media/Media-Share/Movies
Target: /mnt/Dell/jails/Media/Movies

I did that. And Plex cannot access freenas and crashed.
So I tried the ls -l /mnt command to see where my mount point is and I got:
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 3 Dell Dec 21 17:23 Dell

not sure how do change the permission with that output. root is my group ID and wheel is my user ID? Used the formula by Cosmo but it did not work. Appreciated your help.

Allan Wilmath

Explorer
Permissions in Unix/Linux are Owner,Group,Everyone

So if you do a 'ls -la' you will see a column of drwxrwxrwx, the first d is for directory. Then it goes in order owner(readwrite,execute),group(read,write,execute), and everyone(read,write,execute). The command is 'chmod' and here is an example for wide open permissions. 'chmod 777 *' You can do things like chmod u=rwx or g=rwx, or even 'chmod u=rwx,g=rwx,e=rwx (file or directory name)' You can add the '-R', for example 'chmod -R 777 *' and it will apply the permission in the subdirectories as well. If it says -777 is not a directory, you used a lower case r instead of R.

The command would look like: chmod -R 755 /mnt/dell/Media/Media-Share This will make everything readable, but not writeable except for he owner. The R makes the command recursive, this will change all of the permissions inside all of the objects in that folder.

Hope that helps, Allan

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Hi Allan, so my set up should look like:
Source: /mnt/dell/Media/Media-Share/Movies
Target: /mnt/Dell/jails/Media/Movies

I did that. And Plex cannot access freenas and crashed.
So I tried the ls -l /mnt command to see where my mount point is and I got:
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 3 Dell Dec 21 17:23 Dell

not sure how do change the permission with that output. root is my group ID and wheel is my user ID? Used the formula by Cosmo but it did not work. Appreciated your help.

No. Your Destination needs to be something WITHIN the jail. Do not use the same path as your source.

You're confusing yourself with the paths.

Use something like /media/movies for the destination.

husky1055

Dabbler
I did the chmod -R 755 /mnt/dell/Media/Media-Share with both R and r and got the same result: no directory or folder found. I know the folder/directory exits. I think my problem is that the plug in and program plex were both installed and messed up my system some how. I am really confused as this should be real simple and automatic.
I am certain that the destination was WITHIN the jails. See my target /mnt/Dell/jails/ Media/Movies. And that will lose my plex connection to freenas.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Are you running the chmod command from within the jail? Is the storage actually mounted?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
If running in the jail your path is wrong. You need to make sure destination path for your mounted storage something different than what your main storage calls it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Hold on.

You say you have FOLDERS under media-share. Are they directories or datasets?

husky1055

Dabbler
I only have ONE dataset i.e. /Media/Media-Share. It's supposed to allow me to have all my folders, Movies, BluRay, Music etc... in there. The freenas Source and Target (destination) is pretty idiot proof, since it only allows specific choices of sources and targets. I made sure that the sources are my folders in freenas and destinations are in the jails. My original post clearly indicated that Plex is working with the settings shown. But I cannot add ANY additional storage without crashing. This is really insane as it should be REALLY simple.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I only have ONE dataset i.e. /Media/Media-Share. It's supposed to allow me to have all my folders, Movies, BluRay, Music etc... in there. The freenas Source and Target (destination) is pretty idiot proof, since it only allows specific choices of sources and targets. I made sure that the sources are my folders in freenas and destinations are in the jails. My original post clearly indicated that Plex is working with the settings shown. But I cannot add ANY additional storage without crashing. This is really insane as it should be REALLY simple.
It is simple but can get confusing. Looking back at your first post it looks like your destination is strange. Do you really want to have the path in your jail be /mnt/Dell/jail/media? All those extra directories seem silly. You need to double check all the permissions on that path. And also check the permissions of the new directors you create. They need to ask be readable by the Plex user in the jail.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I realize that you are frustrated but try to understand that we have no knowledge of what your technical level is.

Why are you trying to add more storage? You already have your ONE dataset mounted. All your files are in directories below that. There is no reason to add more storage and map to a dataset that is already mapped.

Status
Not open for further replies.