Not open for further replies.

MyLittlePWNie5

Dabbler
Specs:

Build: FREENAS 9.3 STABLE
Plugin: Plexmediaserver 0.9.16.4.1911
Platform: Intel Pentium G630T @ 2.3GHz
Memory: 7867MB

So my issue that I've had is quite strange. I've followed the tutorial video by the FreeNAS team on youtube as closely as I could, and I've done some more troubleshooting that I can try to pass along as well. The issue I have is that I can't add a folder to the library, once a directory is added to the Plexmediaserver storage.

1. If you look at my first image (Add Folder.jpg), I can see the media folder that is there by default. It's just me showing that I can see the media folder before I add any type of storage to Plexmediaserver.
Add Folder.jpg

2. Image 2 (Share.jpg) shows what directory I have as the Source: /mnt/RAIDZ2/Share/Media, and it shows my Destination: /media (which we saw earlier on the list of directories to add to the library on the Plex webgui).
Share.jpg

3. Image 3 (No Media.jpg) shows what happens after I try to go back to Add Library. There is no longer a "media" directory. I have even tried creating different destination directories to see what would happen, and every one that I point to that existed beforehand, disappears after I create a Storage to share under Plexmediaserver.
No Media.jpg

Could this be due to some sort of permissions that's causing the directories to not show up after I point to a destination directory? Under "Plugins" and "Plexmediaserver," I made sure to have "Disables Security. May be needed for initial access." I'm at a loss of what else to try.

Any suggestions would be helpful, as I'm trying to get DLNA to work, so I can watch movies from my TV and/or Xbox One. If Plex is a bad option, can anyone suggest a better DLNA or way to watch media on my NAS on my TV/Xbox One? Thank you in advanced for taking the time to help!

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Remove the storage from the jail, turn off the plex plugin, make sure the jail is stopped, and then do your Step#2 (add storage), then reenable the jail. My guess is that mounting after the jail is on isn't being detected (or is conflicting with an existing /media folder).

MyLittlePWNie5

Dabbler
Remove the storage from the jail, turn off the plex plugin, make sure the jail is stopped, and then do your Step#2 (add storage), then reenable the jail. My guess is that mounting after the jail is on isn't being detected (or is conflicting with an existing /media folder).

I've actually thought the exact same thing you suggested. I've tried it more than once, in case I didn't do it correctly, or in the correct order. Everything seems to be working correctly, except for the added storage showing up on the list to add libraries.

Thank you for the response, but it didn't resolve the issue. I'm all for trying anything else anyone can think of.

My guess is that you have multiple folders underneath the one folder that has media in it. Add each one separately rather than one large one and it should work. Otherwise you will have to do some things wrong to make it function which means you will have to change your dataset to unix rather than windows. I have mine setup as unix and everything works ok even though it is not the "correct" way to handle things but having a jail access with read write just did not seem to work out well with windows setup.

MyLittlePWNie5

Dabbler
So you're saying that I can't have the "parent" folder as "source" of my media? I have to select the exact folders that each belong in? How do people CIFS shares keep things organized? It just looks like it would be a nightmare?

I saw in the example video that there were other folders inside the parent folder that was selected as the source. It seems like my issue is moreso because the destination folder disappears after I create it as a storage. If I'm missing something or speaking incorrectly, please don't hesitate to correct me. No one else is having these issues at all?

If there are no solutions, can anyone offer up a different plug-in or jail to try?

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
So you're saying that I can't have the "parent" folder as "source" of my media?
Maybe. :smile: The operative word being "I". There is something very strange about your setup. Since it works for lots of other people. Have you tried a different destination folder, or a destination sub-folder. What about a different plugin? Have you logged into the CLI for the plugin to confirm that the folder really isn't there? Have you tried without the "create" option checked?

MyLittlePWNie5

Dabbler
Maybe. :) The operative word being "I". There is something very strange about your setup. Since it works for lots of other people. Have you tried a different destination folder, or a destination sub-folder. What about a different plugin? Have you logged into the CLI for the plugin to confirm that the folder really isn't there? Have you tried without the "create" option checked?

lol touche. I've followed directions based off the "FreeNASTeam" on Youtube, so I'm confident I'm doing things in the right order. I even selected the same Destination folder, just in case there were issues with other pre-created directories.

I will try a different destination folder (and sub folder) tonight; I'll give you an update with the results on that.. I haven't tried another plugin, since this one comes stock with 9.3 STABLE, and it's supposed to work right out of the box.

I haven't run anything from the CLI, as I'm not familiar with the commands there. Do you have a guide or some documentation I could read on it? I'd be definitely willing to try. I appreciate you both taking the time to check back and offer more suggestions!

Last edited:

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
I haven't tried another plugin, since this one comes stock with 9.3 STABLE, and it's supposed to work right out of the box.
I mean a different plugin out of the box, to confirm that it's not just you plex install. And it does work out of the box. I just fired up a new plex plugin on a new 9.3 box, and added my dataset/media (which has 100's of subfolders) folder to my jail (/media) and it's visible (and all the subfolders are visible under /media in plex).

Have you tried deleting the plugin and reinstalling?

MyLittlePWNie5

Dabbler
I mean a different plugin out of the box, to confirm that it's not just you plex install. And it does work out of the box. I just fired up a new plex plugin on a new 9.3 box, and added my dataset/media (which has 100's of subfolders) folder to my jail (/media) and it's visible (and all the subfolders are visible under /media in plex).

Have you tried deleting the plugin and reinstalling?

Yup, I did that as well to cover a bad plugin install as well. Unless I didn't do a good job of removing the plugin. It should be as easy as removing the from the install list/jail? I also back pedaled just in case I missed something as well. I wonder what variable I have that's different.

MyLittlePWNie5

Dabbler
Not if the child folders are actually child datasets. Mounting a parent dataset in a jail does not mount the children.

Sorry if this is newbie of me. I have only one dataset with everything in there. I made one WindowShare folder with CIFS, and I control all the permissions from there. All my directories have been created after within explorer. Am I still doing something wrong? Is that not the preferred method?

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
I have only one dataset with everything in there.
Then my comment does not apply to your situation.

I'm not particularly surprised that Plex running on FreeBSD might have trouble working with folders that have Windows permissions, but that's mostly because Windows permissions are something of a black art to me.

My setup is so simple that I can get away with Unix permissions on everything, including my one CIFS share.

Then my comment does not apply to your situation.

I'm not particularly surprised that Plex running on FreeBSD might have trouble working with folders that have Windows permissions, but that's mostly because Windows permissions are something of a black art to me.

My setup is so simple that I can get away with Unix permissions on everything, including my one CIFS share.

That is part of the problem when you want to have an app with read write permissions on FreeNAS that is also a CIFS share. I also have all mine set to UNIX permissions because if I have duplicate files or something that needs to be deleted I want to just handle it from Plex rather than to open a browser and search for the file and deal with it from windows.

I am also keeping multiple datasets for my media and mount each one individually. It makes it a lot easier to go to a page and say hey, I used 15% for my tv shows and 18% for my movies.

As far as the OP it could also be a permissions read issue, go into windows and right click on the folder and look at the permissions there, if for some reason the permissions are not set so everybody can read plex will be locked out as well. There is a myriad of potential issues that can arise from multiple different places. I made sure to create a user in FreeNAS with the corresponding user in the plex jail (972 I believe) and added it to the same group as the users that have CIFS access and made a corresponding group in the jail (likely 1000 or 1001) and added the plex user inside of the jail to that group. This along with setting the dataset permissions to Unix made things work perfect for me and since it's just my home it doesn't matter that much one way or another if it works. I also have all my movies hooked into a Syncthing jail so that I can keep that folder updated with a sister system and the same scheme was setup.

If you still can not get it figured out throw me a PM and if you grab teamviewer I can try and see what is happening or just start fresh and set it up. Done it once already that way with the sister system in San Fran and I am getting better at it all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.