Add disk (with data) in a new Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpl3987

Cadet
Hi,

I have one Freenas with the 9.1.1 release but I cannot upgrade. Then I'm trying to make the next:

A new installation of 9.1.5 and the add my Volumes as new, but without lossing data. I have 3 hard disks with movies, photos, music... All of them in UFS format.

When I try to add a new Volume, Freenas says that all data will be delete. There is no way to make this without lossing data???

I cannot the old config upload, because then Freenas breaks, therefore I want to make a clean installation.

Thank you

leenux_tux

Patron
dpl3987,

Can you provide more information on the following

• Complete configuration of your system
  • Method you are using to upgrade
  • Any errors being shown when you attempt to upgrade
In regards to your point about trying to add a volume I think you are doing the wrong thing, you need to import a volume. Please take time to read the documentation (http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Volumes#Auto_Importing_Volumes), it's well written and very helpful.

Also, please take time to read through the forum guidelines/rules (http://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/forum-rules.1/). Follow these guidelines and you will get a better/faster response from the forum members.

joeschmuck

Old Man
First you are not very clear in what you are doing or wanting to do, nor do you have any idea of what you are doing. You cannot Auto-Import a UFS volume (unless that changed), that is for ZFS formatted drives. When you add/create a new volume it will format the volume thus there is a loss of data on the new drive you are adding. If you do this wrong odds are you will lose your data on your current drives. You can Import a UFS partition, just choose wisely.

My recommendations are:
1) Backup all your important data before adding another drive.
2) Read the users guide! There is a lot of information there to help you out.
3) If you cannot figure it out, post a complete listing of your hardware and system configuration (as you were previously requested but didn't do), and state exactly what you want to do.

dpl3987

Cadet
I will try to be clear:

- I have one FreeNAS 9.1.1 x64 (with 3 hard disks formated as UFS Volumes), with a lot of data inside. Everything runs good. The FreeNAS OS runs on one USB-Stick.

- I want to make a NEW installation of FreeNAS 9.1.5 in the same Server, but I don't want to restore my Settings-Backup of the system. I want one COMPLETE NEW CONFIG.

- Then I have already my USB-Stick with 9.1.5 release with default configuration. Now I need to add/synchronize my 3 old hard disks, which have UFS format, with all its old data. I want to be able to this data, but with the new OS 9.1.5.

- The question is: Is that possible?? should I "Auto Import Volume" or "Import Volume". In the Users guide says: If you click Storage → Volumes → Auto Import Volume, you can configure FreeNAS® to use an existing software UFS or ZFS RAID volume.

If I choose "UFS Volume Manager legacy" I must to format the hard disk, and I don't want to do it. So the only possibility is Auto Import Volume.

There is a lot of information in users guide, but sometimes it does not work. For example with Web-GUI upgrade. In theory there is one option after upgrade, to reboot your system in the previous version, and it doesn't work.

F1 FreeBSD
F2 FreeBSD
Boot: F1

If I press F2, it does nothing. So don't tell me about the users guide....

SUMMARIZING:

I only want to know if is possible to restore one old UFS disk in a new one installation, without lossing data.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I only want to know if is possible to restore one old UFS disk in a new one installation, without lossing data.
Yes, it is possible but it's meant to be temporary. Read the users manual on the Import option. Once you mount the drive you should copy all the data to your pool or somewhere else.

Also you keep referencing 9.1.5, do you mean 9.2.1.5 (I'd stay clear of 9.2.1.5 and use 9.2.1.3 or wait for 9.2.1.6 to come out)? I also suspect your English is not very good, which isn't a problem, I just have to read it a few time to fully understand what you are saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.