How to unlock an encrypted pool after a clean install

Status
Not open for further replies.

bw1faeh0

Dabbler
Hi everyone,

how is the correct procedure to unlock an encrypted pool after a clean install of FreeNAS on a new boot device?

I had the problem that I was only able to unlock my pool with the help of a geli_recovery.key. I had to use this file/key every time I wanted to unlock the pool. What I done:
  1. clean install
  2. imported backup of FreeNAS settings of the previous FreeNAS installation (old USB-Stick)
  3. went to storage page of FreeNAS
  4. saw my "old" pool without need to import it
  5. tried to unlock with my passphrase, got following error message:
Code:
uwsgi: [middleware.exceptions:36] [MiddlewareError: Unable to geli attach gptid/cd672e83-e99f-11e3-a12d-20cf30933ebd: geli: Cannot open keyfile /data/geli/6d3cf55b-4b24-436a-9b28-9cf83dbdf78b.key: No such file or directory.

6. used geli_recovery.key to unlock the pool
7. rebooted machine, tried to unlock the pool with my passphrase, got same error message as above
8. booted the old FreeNAS installation (from the old USB-Stick), copied /data/geli/6d3cf55b-4b24-436a-9b28-9cf83dbdf78b.key via ssh to my client
9. booted 'new' FreeNAS installation (from the new USB-Stick), copied 6d3cf55b-4b24-436a-9b28-9cf83dbdf78b.key from my client to /data/geli
10. unlocked my pool successfully with my passphrase

So far, so good...

But what would be the normal procedure, if I lost my old installation/USB-Stick?? How do I create /data/geli/**.key with the help of geli_recovery.key or a backup of geli.key?

Thanks

Christian

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You always need to provide the password + key or the recovery key. I'm not sure what the key was doing on your boot device, though.

bw1faeh0

Dabbler
Until today I always used the passpharse without a keyfile.

pro lamer

Guru
Until today I always used the passpharse without a keyfile.
You must have meant that you needed to provide only the password during boot and the key-but-not-the-recovery-key was picked up automatically from boot drive (or somewhere else in the NAS).
I'm not sure what the key was doing on your boot device, though.
There are some threads in our forums that discuss it... To me (still a noob) it seems reasonable - the key file can be stored somewhere in the NAS unless a two factor unlock is in use.

Status
Not open for further replies.