Activating Plex hardware acceleration

Cyberpower678

Dabbler
Right.

Can I roll back to 11.3?

Or because my pools are upgraded I am stuffed?

Oh and it doesn't work at all now. Not even a brand new jail where as it used to work sometimes before locking up.

I think I will have to move away from FreeNAS.
This is a shot in the dark, but is your system headless? Can you plug a monitor in and reboot TrueNAS? Leave it in and try using Plex now.

Yorick

Wizard
You can’t roll back once you upgraded your pools.

I’d argue that hardware transcode is a nice to have, and it’s better to make sure you have files in the right resolutions, and SRT subtitles.

Come q1 the migration to TrueNAS scale should have come along, that’s always an option to have better supported hardware transcode. With it still being better to have files in the right resolutions.

ARRRRGGGGHHH

Dabbler
You can’t roll back once you upgraded your pools.

I’d argue that hardware transcode is a nice to have, and it’s better to make sure you have files in the right resolutions, and SRT subtitles.

Come q1 the migration to TrueNAS scale should have come along, that’s always an option to have better supported hardware transcode. With it still being better to have files in the right resolutions.
This requires additional storage space which costs money.

HW transcode is "free".

Your average joe isn't going to see any difference in quality HW vs Software so i would rather have HW to reduce power and heat and storage requirements.

This is a shot in the dark, but is your system headless? Can you plug a monitor in and reboot TrueNAS? Leave it in and try using Plex now.

It is headless. I can try a monitor.

ARRRRGGGGHHH

Dabbler
Ok. It's completely broken now.

Plex won't start.

Not even a new jail works.

Can anyone suggest another OS that supports FreeNAS pools?

That has good hardware driver support?

Cyberpower678

Dabbler
Ok. It's completely broken now.

Plex won't start.

Not even a new jail works.

Can anyone suggest another OS that supports FreeNAS pools?

That has good hardware driver support?
That sounds like an issue I had recently. The iocage had to be completely wiped and set up from scratch again. Backup your Plex data and create a new iocage. Easy to just rename the existing iocage‘s root dataset and let TrueNAS rebuild it.

ARRRRGGGGHHH

Dabbler
That sounds like an issue I had recently. The iocage had to be completely wiped and set up from scratch again. Backup your Plex data and create a new iocage. Easy to just rename the existing iocage‘s root dataset and let TrueNAS rebuild it.

It is working again... After a reboot of the server.

Even though it had just been restarted minutes earlier.

Kinda over it all now though i have to say.

OMV should work with the pools?

Cyberpower678

Dabbler
It is working again... After a reboot of the server.

Even though it had just been restarted minutes earlier.

Kinda over it all now though i have to say.

OMV should work with the pools?
I don’t know what OMV is, I just know that the problems you have sounded exactly ones I had and what my solutions were.
I presume that you upgraded to TrueNAS while it was potentially still a beta? Same for me. When you updated, the jail suddenly stopped starting with a monitor, but without didn’t start correctly.

I had a problem with XigmaNAS with the exact same symptoms. Plex would start but HW transcoding would hang ano time out. Plex could not be restarted, because it wouldn’t let itself be killed, nor did the system reboot because it wasn’t able to kill Plex. This was until I discovered the drm module was not loading correctly on headless machines and that a monitor seemed to fix it for some reason. Once I discovered that, I got a cheap headless monitor adapter to plug into the DVI port and I never had that problem again.

Recently upgraded my TrueNAS from BETA to RELEASE, and the jail broke. Plex would not start in the jail, even if I simply reinstalled the plugin, it would not start. The dev fiddled around and finally deleted the IOCAGE altogether, and had TrueNAS set it up again. After that Plex worked again, with HW acceleration and all.

ARRRRGGGGHHH

Dabbler
I could restart the system.

I couldn't kill the jail though whenever hw encoding was enabled and i tried to watch something being transcoded.

I went from RC to release so maybe that's the issue in that the upgrade doesn't work correctly.

So i guess i will have to reinstall from scratch then. Fun.

Cyberpower678

Dabbler
I could restart the system.

I couldn't kill the jail though whenever hw encoding was enabled and i tried to watch something being transcoded.

I went from RC to release so maybe that's the issue in that the upgrade doesn't work correctly.

So i guess i will have to reinstall from scratch then. Fun.
Let me know if that helped at all. Leave the monitor plugged in while you do that.

ARRRRGGGGHHH

Dabbler
Reinstall Truenas 12.0. Imported jails. Setup cron init script. So far.... Working.

So... I guess if anyone is having issues it may be easiest to just wipe and reinstall to 12.0.

Cyberpower678

Dabbler
Reinstall Truenas 12.0. Imported jails. Setup cron init script. So far.... Working.

So... I guess if anyone is having issues it may be easiest to just wipe and reinstall to 12.0.
I think it would have been easier to just nuke the iocage, but as long as it’s working, I’m glad it’s finally working for you.

ARRRRGGGGHHH

Dabbler
Screw that. Would have to setup all my jails again.

Reinstall of Truenas worked. Original jails "just worked" without any issue at all.

m0t0rh3ad

Dabbler

Nathangorr

Cadet
Looking in the Plex logs I see that it says hardware transcoding is enabled but no hard decode accelerator was found, so even though the jail shell shows dri and drm folders, and in a normal ssh window the iGPU is available, it looks like Plex can't access it. I am running PMS 1.20.1.3252.
I encountered a similar issue with near-identical symptoms to those you described:
  • Both DRI and DRM directories are available to the jail.
  • Both libva-intel-driver-2.4.1 and drm-kmod are installed.
  • Plex is a member of video (GID 44).
  • Plex reports that a hardware decode accelerator is not present.
I've determined that my Q87 motherboard, which is paired with an i5-4570, will not make the resources of the HD 4600 iGPU available to TrueNAS without a display or dummy emulator present. Given that my processor is of the same architecture as your E3-1275 v3, I would give this a try.

Alwies

Cadet
Thank you for confirming. That PCI ID was added in kernel 4.20; FreeBSD's drm-kmod package is based on kernel 4.16.

drm-devel-kmod, last I looked, was based on 5.3. That's available in FreeBSD 13.

Let's call that confirmed: ix-9xxx CFL Refresh use [8086:3e98] and aren't supported in FreeBSD 12.x.

Just builded my first NAS and was so hyped to use Plex now with HW Transcoding.
...yeah i'm running an i5 10400, so bad news for me.
Do you know if support for 10th Gen Intel Graphics will be added with FreeBSD 13 too?

lspci -qnn output:
Code:
00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Comet Lake-S 6c Host Bridge/DRAM Controller [8086:9b53] (rev 05)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:9bc5] (rev 05)
00:12.0 Signal processing controller [1180]: Intel Corporation Comet Lake PCH Thermal Controller [8086:06f9]
00:14.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation Comet Lake USB 3.1 xHCI Host Controller [8086:06ed]
00:14.2 RAM memory [0500]: Intel Corporation Comet Lake PCH Shared SRAM [8086:06ef]
00:16.0 Communication controller [0780]: Intel Corporation Comet Lake HECI Controller [8086:06e0]
00:17.0 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:06d2]
00:1c.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:06ba] (rev f0)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:06bb] (rev f0)
00:1d.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Comet Lake PCI Express Root Port #9 [8086:06b0] (rev f0)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:0684]
00:1f.3 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation Comet Lake PCH cAVS [8086:06c8]
00:1f.4 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation Comet Lake PCH SMBus Controller [8086:06a3]
00:1f.5 Serial bus controller [0c80]: Intel Corporation Comet Lake PCH SPI Controller [8086:06a4]
00:1f.6 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (11) I219-V [8086:0d4d]
01:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168NGW [Stone Peak] [8086:24fb] (rev 10)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8125 2.5GbE Controller [10ec:8125] (rev 05)
03:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller [0108]: Kingston Technology Company, Inc. A2000 NVMe SSD [2646:2263] (rev 03)

Yorick

Wizard
No idea, but I do know that I’ve had instances where hw transcode just wouldn’t work in FreeBSD, and worked in Linux on the same hardware.

Personally, I am done tilting at this particular windmill. Sometime February, when migration is a thing, I’ll move to TrueNAS SCALE and have working hw transcode out of the box, or so I hope :).