A new message with 11.1-RC1 and now 11.1, 11.1-U1, 11.1-U2, too

Status
Not open for further replies.

toadman

Guru
Yep, same here. FreeNAS VM on an AMD based (FX8350) ESXi 6.5 host. 2 vcpus and 8GB for the VM. Backup system only (replication target).

Updated from 11.0-U4 to 11.1-U1 and seeing the messages every 2 min.

Bonnie Follweiler

QA Technician
iXsystems
Hello, I am in the process of trying to reproduce the spam messages issue. Did you upgrade directly from FreeNAS 11.0-U4 to FreeNAS 11.1-U1 or was there an upgrade(s) in between.?
At what point did the messages start showing up?

toadman

Guru
Hello, I am in the process of trying to reproduce the spam messages issue. Did you upgrade directly from FreeNAS 11.0-U4 to FreeNAS 11.1-U1 or was there an upgrade(s) in between.?
At what point did the messages start showing up?

In my case, yes, direct from 11.0-U4 to 11.1-U1. (No in between upgrade. I was waiting for 11.1-U1 to fix the memory leak bug.) Messages sharted showing up in the GUI messages (at the bottom) after the final reboot into the 11.1-U1 environment.

I'm happy to help provide other info if you let me know what you need.

JKK

Cadet
I had a clean installed Freenas 11.1 stable, and upgraded 11 hours ago to 11.1-U1, and the messages started right after reboot was complete.

Hazimil

Contributor
Also getting now I'm upgraded to 11.1-U1. It it something to be worried about, or can we ignore it for now?

Jonathan

I-Tech

Dabbler
also have the "[WARN] agent: Check 'freenas_health' is now warning" feature
direct update from 11.1 to 11.1-U1 today
can live with this log spamming.. just hope U1 fixed the random reboots

Skyfox

Explorer
I've been having this issue since the last set of updates for 11.1. Was kinda hoping U1 would fix it :)

J Crnac

Cadet
Same here. After upgrading to 11.1-U1 on both servers (HP N54L and Dell T20).
Will return to 11.1-Release until problem is solved.

danb35

Hall of Famer
So annoying has anyone tried rolling back?
Seriously? Roll back just for log spam? You're never going to be happy with FreeNAS, then--log spam (and even console spam), in various forms, has been an issue for a long time, with many versions, and the devs clearly don't care. It's annoying, to be sure, but it doesn't hurt anything.

paradoxiom

Patron
Seriously? Roll back just for log spam? You're never going to be happy with FreeNAS, then--log spam (and even console spam), in various forms, has been an issue for a long time, with many versions, and the devs clearly don't care. It's annoying, to be sure, but it doesn't hurt anything.

I think the problem is that it's annoying and we have no way to ourselves suppress pointless log messages like this, fact is people are OCD about this stuff and so yes console spam about things is an irritant, the actual problem doesn't need to be fixed by devs but what about some way of just hiding the messages? Just offering possible long-term solutions here because as you say, log spam like this is never going to be 'fixed', but if we had a way ourselves to just hide them in the meantime that might satisfy a lot of people.

danb35

Hall of Famer
the actual problem doesn't need to be fixed by devs but what about some way of just hiding the messages?
But the messages are "the actual problem", and they do need to be fixed by the devs. If the alert system is in a warning status, that's a perfectly sensible thing to write to the logs (not to the console, but to the logs). It should be written once, when the warning occurs. It isn't perfectly sensible for that to be repeated every two minutes--the message should only be repeated, if at all, when something else triggers another warning.

ere109

Contributor
I just updated today from a clean 11.1 to 11.1-U1 and the message started. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Same here. After upgrading to 11.1-U1 on both servers (HP N54L and Dell T20).
Will return to 11.1-Release until problem is solved.
Really, you think some extra entries in the log is a reason to reject an update that fixes so many other things?

wil

Cadet
I modified the shell script to allow empty lines in /tmp/.alert-health and that did stop the message flood for me. I updated the bug report with my findings.
Thanks, used your suggested mod and it does indeed stop the warnings while I can keep consul running.

Status
Not open for further replies.