A few simple questions about a controller and compatibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TremorAcePV

Explorer
Hi,

Basically, I need a controller that "just works" as an HBA with FreeNAS and ZFS. I don't want to have to flash the firmware. So...

My FreeNAS build will be featuring this motherboard [SUPERMICRO MBD-H8SGL-F-O].

Will this controller [SUPERMICRO AOC-USAS2-L8i] work as a HBA by default or through a setting in it's BIOS?

That controller was on this list [32 to 2 ports: Ideal Controllers for ZFS...] which implies to me it will work fine, as the list says "FreeBSD support: mps (first in FreeBSD 9.0, then backported to 8.2-stable, and 8.1, 8.0, 7.4) [Added on 2011-09-29]".

And since, according to this controller explanation, [Confused about that LSI card? Join the crowd...] "If you do [crossflash the IBM M1015], it works under the "mps" driver, and it becomes a plain HBA. If you don't, then it is under the "mfi" driver and it is a RAID card."

So since the USAS2-L8i will work under the mps driver, it will be seen as an HBA, correct? And not as a RAID controller, meaning it doesn't get in the way of ZFS?

Also, will I have to install anything for FreeNAS to see that controller and any HDDs connected to it? I'd assume not.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks,
Tremor.

Status
Not open for further replies.