9.3 not seeing 2nd USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phe0nix

Explorer
I am doing a new install and wrote the .iso to a 4 GB USB and the nas boots to the freeNAS image stored on this 4 GB USB , however it doesn't see my 8GB USB that i had planned to install FreeNAS onto.

I have moved the 8GB USB to a different port ( Internal type A and external 2.0 ). I know this 8GB is able to be seen by the system as i used it for flashing the LSI controller. I have formatted it to FAT32 via windows and it's still not seen to be listed as a device to install to.

Thanks

marbus90

Guru
I'd recommend to use Virtual Media via IPMI. Also try to disable all usb3.0 features.

Phe0nix

Explorer
I have a AsRock and the VM via IPMI and not as straight forward as it is with Supermicro.
You have to enable this under Images Redirection in IPMI and then provide the Server address,source path,share type,username,password and domain name.

I don't know what to place in all those fields and the manual doesn't cover it.

Image_Redirection.jpg

Last edited:

marbus90

Guru
Try to open the Remote Console/iKVM/Console Redirection. With Supermicro there's a button in the top row where you can configure this far easier.

But USB3.0 was known to cause lots of trouble, so disable all usb3 stuff in the bios.

Phe0nix

Explorer
Disabled USB legacy support and when the installer loads it still fails to see the other usb drive but that was a good idea, wish it had worked. Well back to that nasty ( would be fine if i did this for a living ) IPMI AsRock has

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I have a AsRock and the VM via IPMI and not as straight forward as it is with Supermicro.
You have to enable this under Images Redirection in IPMI and then provide the Server address,source path,share type,username,password and domain name.

I don't know what to place in all those fields and the manual doesn't cover it.

Image_Redirection.jpg

Nah, just use the iKVM viewer. It almost certainly does ISO mounting.

I never did get it to work through the IPMI GUI, but the iKVM viewer works fine (Supermicro X10).

Phe0nix

Explorer
Try to open the Remote Console/iKVM/Console Redirection. With Supermicro there's a button in the top row where you can configure this far easier.

AsRock looks a bit different but i took your advice and successfully ran FreeNAS 9.3 via IPMI. With SuperMicro you go to your iKVM Viewer then Virtual Media and with AsRock it's very similar. I used the Jviewer and then selected Media/Virtual Media Wizzard and loaded the .ISO image and restarted the NAS and it's installing FreeNAS now. ;)

Thank You for your Help !!!

Success.jpg

Nah, just use the iKVM viewer. It almost certainly does ISO mounting.
I never did get it to work through the IPMI GUI, but the iKVM viewer works fine (Supermicro X10).
Thanks Ericloewe, your correct it worked just fine via the viewer and the GUI is a pain.

Last edited:

Phe0nix

Explorer
No configured interfaces were found.... Why doesn't anything go by the book ? :(

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What board is it, specifically?

Phe0nix

Explorer

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Ah, very nice board. Be sure to tell us more about it, once you've lived with it a bit.

Phe0nix

Explorer
Hope i can. After install the nas was showing under network in windows 7 but couldn't transfer media due to permissions and now its gone. Made a post in the new to freenas section any help would be appreciated. Would like to start all over if i can without loosing my installed plugins

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.