Unable to install 9.3-release from USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer
SO..... Where do I begin.

I'm new to FreeNAS but I'm very experienced with computers.

I have created a bootable image on a usb because I'm not using a CD-ROM drive, following the instructions in the documentation exactly.
However, when I get to the point where it asks me to install FreeNAS and will erase all data on the 8GB USB, after clicking ok, I get immediately error code da1 destroyed.. followed by a few lines and then nothing for minutes..
I've tried having the USB install formatted to NTFS, FAT32 etc etc. no options work. I've even tried making a seperate USB key as the bootable image and to make in the install usb a separate drive to rule out any issues there.. still no success.

EDIT: So after leaving the room for awhile, I come back to a bunch of command lines scrolling with a bunch of files say blah blah blah "missing" etc etc. and then eventually it says installation complete.
Now I'd like to note that I never once saw a progress with % etc as seen in the youtube videos etc.

Somehow my NAS it up and running but I don't trust in the installation with all those missing files..

Anybody have an advice,
Please, and thank you.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The YouTube videos are certainly out of date.

9.3 has a completely new installer. I haven't looked at it yet (I'll update around February, when I have more free time), but don't let yourself be misled by old YouTube videos.

Fortunately for you, FreeNAS 9.3 and up can audit their files. Check the manual to learn how to do a consistency check of the OS files.

D

dlavigne

Were you installing to the same USB stick? If so, you need a second USB stick: one to hold the installer and one to install into.

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer
The YouTube videos are certainly out of date.

9.3 has a completely new installer. I haven't looked at it yet (I'll update around February, when I have more free time), but don't let yourself be misled by old YouTube videos.

Fortunately for you, FreeNAS 9.3 and up can audit their files. Check the manual to learn how to do a consistency check of the OS files.

Cool thanks I will look into that, and do a consistency check on the OS.

Were you installing to the same USB stick? If so, you need a second USB stick: one to hold the installer and one to install into.

Wow I guess that's why it finally worked, when I tried that. I think this should be a bit more clear in the documentation.

But thanks these were both really helpful replies :) Looks like I'm up and running.

One more quick question:

I used the wizard to set up my volumes and I believe I picked auto for the RAID format, but I didn't exactly see what was selected. I'm just wondering how I can easily see what RAID my volume is in?
I only have 2 x 3TB drives so I wanted to set up a RAID 1.

*Below is a picture of my volume status* I assume this means it's mirrored? AKA RAID 1?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• volume status.png
    volume status.png
    153.2 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.