SOLVED 9.3-alpha and lsi 9211-8i: firmware - driver mismatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leroy Weber

Cadet
I have a similar problem that I hope will be resolved. I just built a HUGE machine and I am using the version FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201506292332 and I am getting only one error: Firmware version 20 does not match driver version 16 for /dev/mps0.
I have seen much writing about this error and I really don't want to downgrade my card. Can someone tell me how long until I might be able to upgrade FreeNAS to a version that will use the Ver 20 driver? After all, I would have to upgrade my card back to the way it is now after FreeNAS upgrades. Is my data in any danger when I upgrade to a FreeNAS ver 20 driver?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Can someone tell me how long until I might be able to upgrade FreeNAS to a version that will use the Ver 20 driver?
You can either use the unstable, unsupported P20 firmware / P16 driver combination with the stable FreeNAS 9.3 Stable or the supported, unstable matched P20 driver and firmware with the unstable FreeNAS 9.3 nightlies.
Take your pick. Neither option is appropriate for production systems.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Can someone tell me how long until I might be able to upgrade FreeNAS to a version that will use the Ver 20 driver?
You can either use the unstable, unsupported P20 firmware / P16 driver combination with the stable FreeNAS 9.3 Stable or the supported, unstable matched P20 driver and firmware with the unstable FreeNAS 9.3 nightlies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Leroy Weber

Cadet
Thanks Eric,
As this error is not on any of my big RAID configurations and is only being reported by my boot drives, I think i'll let it run like this until the /P20 is available in a stable release. I understand this is not ideal, but the worst case scenario is that I must reload FreeNAS. A crash would have no effect on my data on the RAIDs especially if I keep the FreeNAS configuration backed up. My data is important to me and there would be no way to backup 144TiB so as long as no errors are being reported by the BIG RAID (LSI 9300-8i) card, I think I'm good.
Leroy

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Bad news is that LSI SAS3 drivers and firmware are still quite unstable. SAS2 is still the go-to solution for stability.

Leroy Weber

Cadet
Eric,
It is just too bad that I don't know as much about the subject as you do. Unfortunately, the LSI community is selling hardware that is just too modern for today's applications and idiots like me are forced to buy the stuff. Thanks for your help. And also, thanks for moderating this forum as actively as you do.

Leroy

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Eric,
It is just too bad that I don't know as much about the subject as you do. Unfortunately, the LSI community is selling hardware that is just too modern for today's applications and idiots like me are forced to buy the stuff. Thanks for your help. And also, thanks for moderating this forum as actively as you do.

Leroy
I don't moderate, I just post a lot. :p

Josif

Dabbler
Hello Guys,

IBM M1015 / SAS 9229-8i
Motheboard: Supermicro X9SCM-F
Unfortunately my first post is related to the same problem: WARNING: Firmware version 15 does not match driver version 16 for /dev/mps0.
Few hours ago i`ve flashed the card with P16 and i believe i`ve downloaded the correct files from lsi. (Installer_P16_for_UEFI.zip)

Why am i getting this error?
Thanks in advance for your comments!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
If you're still getting the error message, the card wasn't properly flashed.

Josif

Dabbler
Yeah most probably.
What should i do?

I have no idea how to reflash it.
I`ve followed a guide which shows only how to flash it. is the reflashing process the same?
Can you point me to exact files i need not to mess up and try other files which can lead me to fail again?

Update: I`ve succeeded to reflash it to the next supported version 16.

Last edited:

wtfuar

Dabbler
Well, run into the same problem after upgrade from 9.2.1.5 to FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201509022158

Code:
Firmware version 16 does not match driver version 20 for /dev/mps0

Running on IBM 1015 flashed IT mode.

I'd like to get rid of this error, but why to flash a new version or why is this version flipping happening while upgrading freenas? I am confused.

Edit: Found this now and see into a FW upgrade after reading "what's new" ...
Besides what FW Versions are supported with the implemented driver version of the stable builds?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.