8.2.0 progress report

Status
Not open for further replies.

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
I think what he meant is using nginx to serve up files, not the use for the freenas interface

The release of 8.2 will bring at most 5 plugins IMHO (currently 3 I think, I don't know if there will be time to do more)...
We hope people will start making their own plugins but we have to give some time so things stabilize, I'm sure there is still a lot to improve/fix, but thats a good start...

nikro

Dabbler
If folks noticed, the bits and pieces for 8.2.0-BETA1 have been committed to SF, but haven't been officially announced. I see on the forums that some folks have installed the -BETA1 image, but there are items that need to be worked on that we're monkeying around with before coming up with an official announcement (the FreeBSD project has a similar procedure). I'm going through the GUI and poking at things so I can route items over to some of the iX devs and we can improve things for a proper -BETA1 release (there are one or two critical items that I think could be fixed in order to prevent accidental 'paths of pain').

Sorry for any confusion this may have caused, but I just wanted to make this clear somewhere and I seem to get really good feedback on the forums from the user community.

I'll see if either Josh or I can start an "8.2.0 coming soon" post so progress can be tracked for the new release.

Thanks for your patience -- we (the FreeNAS 8 dev team) really appreciate it :).

Hello,

I had this prob on 8.2.0 beta1: GEOM: da0s1: geometry does not match label (16h,63s !=255h,63s)
Now I upgraded to 8.2.0 beta2, my NAS is working again but I lost all my volumes and settings.
All my Photos since 199x were on this NAS, what can I do to restore my stuff.

Thanks a lot for your help

snax

Dabbler
Hello,

I had this prob on 8.2.0 beta1: GEOM: da0s1: geometry does not match label (16h,63s !=255h,63s)
Now I upgraded to 8.2.0 beta2, my NAS is working again but I lost all my volumes and settings.
All my Photos since 199x were on this NAS, what can I do to restore my stuff.

Thanks a lot for your help

Try this:
1. Enable SSH and login to your NAS.
2. Look in /data for a file called "freenas-v1.db.bak." Note the file date.
3. Use SCP to copy this file to somewhere safe (i.e. other than your NAS)
4. Reinstall the version of FreeNAS that you had installed during the date of the above file (assuming it is prior to your using the betas).
5. Make a copy of the downloaded freenas-v1.db.bak to freenas-v1.db
6. Login to the web gui and:
a) Click System -> Settings -> General
b) Click Upload Config
c) Browse to the freenas-v1.db file and click Update.

AND STOP USING BETA SOFTWARE WITH YOUR IMPORTANT DATA

nikro

Dabbler
Try this:
1. Enable SSH and login to your NAS.
2. Look in /data for a file called "freenas-v1.db.bak." Note the file date.
3. Use SCP to copy this file to somewhere safe (i.e. other than your NAS)
4. Reinstall the version of FreeNAS that you had installed during the date of the above file (assuming it is prior to your using the betas).
5. Make a copy of the downloaded freenas-v1.db.bak to freenas-v1.db
6. Login to the web gui and:
a) Click System -> Settings -> General
b) Click Upload Config
c) Browse to the freenas-v1.db file and click Update.

AND STOP USING BETA SOFTWARE WITH YOUR IMPORTANT DATA

Thanks a lot for your help somebody else told me to click on auto import volumes and it worked.
Anyway I will follow your advice and use only released versions!

ProtoSD

MVP
If you look back several posts, or maybe it was another announcement, they said sometime in late May, or maybe early June since there have been some bumps with 8.2.

ljw1

Dabbler
I just checked the progress documentation and the dates in it are completely wrong. Is there any further updates as to when the next beta is coming out. With the plugin system completely borked it doesn't really allow us to test out the next stage of functionality to get it back up to freenas v7 levels.

ljw1

Dabbler
In the plugins forum there are issues that are being addressed in the next beta but there is no eta as far as I can find. Specifically I was referring to one of the developers saying to wait until the plugin system was fixed before even looking at it.

No I have not logged any support tickets as I was waiting until the plugin system was vaguely stable.

I must sound impatient to you, that is not my intention. The intention was to find out approximate timelines as I am planning my next nas migration and was wondering on time frames.

Status
Not open for further replies.