3TB drives only recgognizing 2.2TB

Status
Not open for further replies.

riptide

Cadet
Hello Everyone,

I have just installed 4 3TB drives, when creating the volume they are only showing up as 2.2TB each. I know they arent going to be a full 3TB but it seems that 2.2TB was a little low. Is there something special I need to do for FreeNAS to recognize the full disk? Here's the specs of my software setup. Any help would be much appreciated.

FreeNAS Build
FreeNAS-8.0.3-RELEASE-x64 (9395)

Platform
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU W3530 @ 2.80GHz

Memory
12265MB

OS Version
FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p5

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi riptide,

What motherboard & controller do you have them connected to?

My guess is that the system BIOS is the what's giving you trouble because it cant address more that 2.2TB. That's kind of surprising given that your chip is only 2 years old.....do you have the drives connected to some add-on SATA card?

-Will

riptide

Cadet
They're not connected to an add on SATA card, the motherboard is a Supermicro X8STI/X8STI-F/X8STI-3F/X8STI-LN4 Version 2.0. Not sure what the controller card is. The Box is manufactured by iX systems.

b1ghen

Contributor
Sounds like whatever the drives are connected to can't utilize larger than 2TB drives. Sounds like you should give iX Systems a call and check what they say.

riptide

Cadet
Sounds like whatever the drives are connected to can't utilize larger than 2TB drives. Sounds like you should give iX Systems a call and check what they say.

I'm waiting on a call back from them right now.

RichR

Explorer
They're not connected to an add on SATA card, the motherboard is a Supermicro X8STI/X8STI-F/X8STI-3F/X8STI-LN4 Version 2.0. Not sure what the controller card is. The Box is manufactured by iX systems.

I'll put money on the chipset on your SATA card. I recently bought and external SATA dock. Hidden in fine print (on almost every model), it says only supports 2TB drives. If you Google this you'll find it's the chipset which leads me to believe it's the chipset on your card.

StephenFry

Contributor
Status
Not open for further replies.