How do you change users?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rthomasson

Cadet
This is probably a stupid question, but how do you change which user you log in as? Right now, I have my FreeNAS mapped as my H: drive and when I go into the folder, some files do not allow me to move, delete, or modify them, they say I need permission from Unix User\Nobody. Is there a way I can log into FreeNAS as nobody and delete the files and put them back under my user name?

Additionally I would like to know how to change who you are logged in as because both my wife and I have separate user names.

My Computer is an HP g6 Laptop
AMD A6-3400M APU with Radeon HD Graphics 1.40 GHz
RAM: 6GB

We are running FreeNAS-8.0.3-RELEASE-x64 (9395)
on a Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz
with 3943MB of RAM
OS Version: FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p5
We are using CIFS Sharing

Thank you

rthomasson

Cadet
Thank you protosd!! Those documents are helpful. But, maybe I did not describe my problem well. Please bear with me.

So I got onto my share as started moving all my music files and movies over to the share. This all worked fine and I can open the files with no issues. My problem is that now the files are on the share, I am unable to move, delete, or modify certain files (not all, it seems to be random-ish). When I try to do anything with these files, it says that I do not have permission to do so and that I need permission from Unix user/nobody. When I moved my files over, I pulled them all over from different sources so they are not in order and I am trying to put them all into one centralized folder. Half the files are moved and the other half cannot be moved. So when I originally posted this question, I was trying to figure out if I could log in as Unix user/nobody. But maybe there is something else going on here??

Any advice is greatly appreciated. You guys are awesome!

Stephens

Patron
Combined with your other thread, there's something really wrong with the way you're setting up shares. If you're sure you and your wife are the only 2 who will access the NAS, enable (check) read write and execute for "Other" (change permissions for the "dataset" housing the shared data on FreeNAS). And set permissions recursively so it updates all the files already in the dataset. This will let anyone read, move, delete, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.