3 newbie questions about: 1 tb missing, what raid, change existing raid

Keyakinan

Dabbler
So, newby here.
1) I have 2 4tb WD Red that show as 7 tb max, i understand that ZFS takes up some space and that 4tb isn't REALLY 4tb. But almost 500 gb less per disk?

2) I have created this pool 1.5 years ago but after that didn't have time to do anything with it, now i'm trying to figure out my configuration but "zpool status -v" shows the disk but it doesn't list a raid level?

3) right now i have a pool called disk1 (misnomer) that is the size of 7 tb ( both 4tb disks) but i want to seprate them so i can have 3 tb on both disks for backups, in the best scenario i want this:
I backup on disk 1 , after 1 day the backup goes to disk 2 and disk 1 recieves an incremental update , repeat
This way I have one extra day if something goes wrong and i have a virus or ransomware attack ( sometimes they got timed delay i heared)

so 2 3tb backup and i want 1 tb on both disk ( or whatever is left) for plex and random saves

I already have 800 gb on my disks that i rather not lose, is there a way to still get this format? Or do i have to completly delete the disks and start from scratch?

Sorry if your eyes hurt after reading this, if you have any questions or comments I really love the input!!

styno

Patron
Please take some time to go over the documentation, everything you ask is documented in there.
Start with pools & redundancy and check how your current setup will not keep your 800Gb safe. Then read up on snapshots as a quick way to roll back from virus/ransomware/fatfingers issues. Replication & cloud sync are the next topics to answer your backup questions.

As for changing the current pool layout on the fly while the data is still on it: no, not possible.

edit: I skipped q1: 4TB claimed on the drive label actually gives you 3725GB real capacity. Using them together should gives ZFS 7450GB to work with. iirc, the rest is padding, overhead & swap?

Last edited:

Keyakinan

Dabbler
Please take some time to go over the documentation, everything you ask is documented in there.
Start with pools & redundancy and check how your current setup will not keep your 800Gb safe. Then read up on snapshots as a quick way to roll back from virus/ransomware/fatfingers issues. Replication & cloud sync are the next topics to answer your backup questions.

As for changing the current pool layout on the fly while the data is still on it: no, not possible.

edit: I skipped q1: 4TB claimed on the drive label actually gives you 3725GB real capacity. Using them together should gives ZFS 7450GB to work with. iirc, the rest is padding, overhead & swap?

Thanks! I will read up on it! Shame I can't change the raid and also a shame that i also got 1 tb less then i hoped :p
Also not sure if it's also in the documentation the you recommend, but Zpool status doesn't show me what raid I got, is that discussed in the documentation?

Redcoat

MVP
Zpool status doesn't show me what raid I got

Unusual - see this snip and compare with yours
Code:
        NAME                                            STATE     READ WRITE CKS                                                                                                                                                             UM
        tank                                            ONLINE       0     0                                                                                                                                                                  0
          raidz2-0                                      ONLINE       0     0                                                                                                                                                                  0
            gptid/d181df5a-0cfd-11e7-b927-60eb69082462  ONLINE       0     0                                                                                                                                                                  0
            gptid/d2b588bc-0cfd-11e7-b927-60eb69082462  ONLINE       0     0                                                                                                                                                                  0
            gptid/d3f9d809-0cfd-11e7-b927-60eb69082462  ONLINE       0     0                                                                                                                                                                  0
            gptid/d52393c3-0cfd-11e7-b927-60eb69082462  ONLINE       0     0                                                                                                                                                                  0
            gptid/d65aedba-0cfd-11e7-b927-60eb69082462  ONLINE       0     0                                                                                                                                                                  0
            gptid/d78d0d3f-0cfd-11e7-b927-60eb69082462  ONLINE       0     0                                                                                                                                                                  0

errors: No known data errors

styno

Patron
Zpool status doesn't show me what raid I got
You are not using hardware raid, are you? As indicated by @Redcoat, paste the output here between code tags so we can have a look.
A bit more info on the specs and setup of the system would be helpfull as well.

Keyakinan

Dabbler
I moved all my files to my computer HDD and destroyed original pool and created 2 new pools. Now I got no raid but i think thats normal bc I got 2 pools with 1 disk. I have SMB share for the first pool, but somehow I can only enter (and only read) with guest permissions..

Code:
 pool: Pool_ado0
 state: ONLINE
  scan: none requested
config:

NAME                                              STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        Pool_ado0                                         ONLINE       0     0     0
          gptid/503fa0fd-4e60-11e9-899a-00fd45fd8240.eli  ONLINE       0     0     0