RAID failed then GPT error then crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

chjade84

Cadet
So I'll start by saying I am still using version 0.7.2.

Now I know FreeNAS has moved on but any support for v7 is non-existent as far as I can tell. I would like to upgrade to v8 but would like my data back if at all possible. So here goes...

One day I couldn't connect to my FreeNAS box anymore and found it had crashed. I am using the Intel ICH10R chip for "hardware RAID" (unsupported in v8 - which is why I'm still on v7) and saw that my disks were "Offline Members". I played around with them and removed the one disk from the RAID that refused to re-connect. I then installed Windows on an old hard drive to let the Intel Matrix software rebuild the array. Now Windows sees the RAID but it's useless, obviously, because it UFS.

So back in goes the FreeNAS disk but it's still having errors and continuously rebooting. I'm no longer getting "Fatal Trap 12" errors since the RAID was rebuilt but now, during startup I see:

GEOM: ad12: corrupt or invalid GPT detected.
GEOM: ad12: GPT rejected -- may not be recoverable.
GEOM: ad16: corrupt or invalid GPT detected.
GEOM: ad16: GPT rejected -- may not be recoverable.

(my RAID consists of four 2 TB drives ad12, ad14, ad16 and ad18 - the OS is on ad4)

So I take it that's not a good thing...

I then get a whole lot of drive errors but FreeNAS eventually starts and after about 15-30 seconds it crashed with:

dev = ar0p1, ino = 2, fs = /mnt/FreeNAS
panic: ffs_freefile: freeing free inode
cpuid = 2
Uptime: 38s
Cannot Dump. No dump device defined

So. Any ideas on how to get my data off the disks and start over? After dealing with Intel's "RAID" solution I'm no longer excited about it and would gladly upgrade to v8 with software RAID - but I would like my data back. No, I don't have a backup (shame on me) but it's not super critical data (movies, music, pics) and after spending all the money on the box I didn't have even more money for more disks to backup the RAID -- which I THOUGHT RAID 5 would protect me against. Drive failure? Fine. But I never thought the RAID would just up and f**k itself one day and go corrupt...

Thanks ahead of time for any input on the situation!

chjade84

Cadet
I found if I unplug all of my drives I can get FreeNAS to stay alive. I tried unchecking the "Check Filesystem During Boot" option but no luck.

I then tried running an fsck in a Ubuntu Live CD but am getting an error about not finding a superblock...

Status
Not open for further replies.