2TB Drive showing up as 931GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bex

Cadet
Hi All,

New to Freenas 8 but working it all out slowly. Can anyone help with the following:

I have set up a couple of vollumes and shares trying things out. I currently have 3 drive installed. 1 x 1TB Hitachi and 2 x 2TB WDs. The Hitachi and one of the WDs is showing up as it should but the other WD keeps showing up as 931GB.
When I hook it to anything else it is fine and when I boot my freenas box into GParted and check it all out they are all fine.
I tried creating just a GPT patition table in GParted and then checking under freenas but still it is 931GB.

I've tralled the forums and web and have seen people having similar types of issues but none like this.

Cheers for any help.

did you set them all up in the same vdev?

zfs will use the smallest drive size as the size for all drives in a vdev.

Bex

Cadet
Hi, no I am doing individual zpools & vdevs for each while I am testing etc.
This particluar drive I have not even added to a vdev at all as I want get it reporting its size properly first.
I have tried different sata ports and even some other 2TB WD drives and all except the first 2TB WD are reporting 931GB instead of 1.8TB.

Tekkie

Patron
Delete all volumes in the system, disconnect all 1TB drives and only keep the single 2TB drive, create a new volume and report back what size it gives you?

Bex

Cadet
Delete all volumes in the system, disconnect all 1TB drives and only keep the single 2TB drive, create a new volume and report back what size it gives you?

OK yep that worked :). Bizarre.
I deleted the volumes and removed all but the suspect 2TB disk. When I booted up it reported as 1.8TB.
I then shut down and added the second 2TB and it reported the same.
Then the last 1TB drive and it was fine too.

Hmm I might create some volumes and then add another and see if it goes to 931GB again. Hope I wont have to do this to add drive when it is chock full of data.

Cheers for the help Tekkie.

Status
Not open for further replies.