Unable to utilise 1TB Samsung HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Jerome

Dabbler
Hello. I'm a new user to FreeNAS. I've succesfully been able to use 3 of the 4 hard drives in my rig, but very frustrated FreeNAS doesn't seem to let me utilise the 4th.

I'm using FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201412312006 on an i5 CPU with a Gigabyte B85-HD3 on 8GBs of DDR3.

The hard disks are:

1x 128GB Sandisk SSD which is running FreeNAS
2x 2TB WD 3.5" SATA HDDs
1x 1TB Samsung 3.5" SATA HDD

I've managed to set the 2 WDs up as a mirrored volume, which has somehow given me 2.5TBs? However, when I apply the same method to add the Samsung it's not showing up as an available disk, although when I look under view disk I can see it and it's serial number!

I've not tried tinkering with sata ports on the mobo, yet but as the three drives worked in the same formation when running Windows7 on the Sandisk SSD they all worked, I figured they should work with FreeNAS in the same configuration.

D

dlavigne

Are you trying to add this disk to the same pool (using extend) or create a brand new pool? If a new pool, post a screenshot of what it looks like when you go to add the disk.

Richard Jerome

Dabbler
Thank you for your response there. What is a pool please? I am basically in the web console under Volume Manager not able to find to identify any other available disks.

D

dlavigne

The ZFS term for a volume. What are you trying to achieve with these disks? 1 volume or 2? Since your disks are different sizes, if you create a 3 way mirror, your volume will be limited to the size of the smallest disk. However if you make 2 volumes, 1 will be a mirror (you already have) and one will be a single disk (with no redundancy).

So, what is your goal?

Richard Jerome

Dabbler
I want the mirrored volume to remain how it is with the redundancy, but I would like my single 1TB drive to be utilised separately for file drop - is that achievable? As far as I can see FreeNAS wont let me use the Samsung disk.

gpsguy

Let's start with what you currently have.

A pair of mirrored 2Tb drives, should only give you about 1.8TB's of space. I wonder if you accidentally striped the 1TB drive into your existing pool.

From the console run: zpool status -v and post the results here in "code" tags. It's important to use the code tags, to preserve formatting. If you don't understand how to do it, grab a screenshot and post it here.

I've managed to set the 2 WDs up as a mirrored volume, which has somehow given me 2.5TBs?

Richard Jerome

Dabbler
That would make a lot of sense. Volume Manger says 2.6TiB available, then 2.5TiB underneath it.
The console want's me to enter Option 1-12?

gpsguy

Select the shell option and and run the "zpool status" command (without the quotes).

My guess, is that the easiest thing to do for you to do, would be to take a screenshot and upload it here.

Richard Jerome

Dabbler
That would make a lot of sense. Volume Manger says 2.6TiB available, then 2.5TiB underneath it.
The console want's me to enter Option 1-12?

iframe>

gpsguy

Please repeat this with zpool status | more

I presume the first two disks are mirror-0

cyberjock

Inactive Account
This really is insufferable. You're going to need to learn how to use SSH if you're going to want good support. I can't imagine asking for the output for a dozen commands that scroll off the screen and expecting a bunch of screenshots.

I think you should stop working on this issue and learn how to use SSH. Once you've got SSH down then come back. It's really not hard and I bet in an hour or two you could be an expert in using SSH.

gpsguy

It should. There's an option in the FreeNAS webGUI to go into the Shell.

Try zpool status | more there and post the results.

Richard Jerome

Dabbler
It should. There's an option in the FreeNAS webGUI to go into the Shell.

Try zpool status | more there and post the results.

pool: Media
state: DEGRADED
status: One or more devices could not be opened. Sufficient replicas exist for
the pool to continue functioning in a degraded state.
action: Attach the missing device and online it using 'zpool online'.
see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-2Q
scan: none requested
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKS
UM
Media DEGRADED 0 0
mirror-0 ONLINE 0 0
gptid/55477b83-94d4-11e4-ad9e-74d435942db6 ONLINE 0 0
gptid/55972c5d-94d4-11e4-ad9e-74d435942db6 ONLINE 0 0
mirror-1 DEGRADED 0 0
10053498542809105519 UNAVAIL 0 0
0 was /dev/gptid/564534d1-94d4-11e4-ad9e-74d435942db6
--More--(byte 896)

gpsguy

In message #7, I asked for the results in "code tags". See the option on the insert menu. See message #6 in this thread for an example of what your message should look like: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/upgrade-hard-drives.26580/#post-168841

What we can see, is that you have 2 sets of mirrors (mirror-0 and -1). The latter, probably the 1TB drive, that was mirrored with something (missing) and is part of your pool. You either need to get another drive and fix the mirror-1 issue (following the directions in the manual). Or, backup your data, destroy your pool, and rebuild it correctly.

Richard Jerome

Dabbler
Thanks dude.

So are all 3 drives mirrored to give me the 2.6TBs, but there is an issue somewhere? I don't have any other drives, but all data is backed up. I think it will be easier to start again, but not sure what I need to do differently to ensure this doesn't happen again.

R

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Thanks dude.

So are all 3 drives mirrored to give me the 2.6TBs, but there is an issue somewhere? I don't have any other drives, but all data is backed up. I think it will be easier to start again, but not sure what I need to do differently to ensure this doesn't happen again.

R
Read cyberjocks guide (link in my sig) and you will have a much better understanding
of where you went wrong and how to do things right.

Status
Not open for further replies.