BUILD 24U FreeNAS Build - Your feedback is welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fn369

Explorer
What you might want to do is to take a look at some YouTube videos of people demonstrating how to build a computer from parts. There's a good amount of stuff "to know" and of course a lot of people who do "the wrong", but overall it isn't suuuuuuuuuper difficult to order a chassis, drop in a mainboard, hook up the cables, and put in the CPU and other parts.
As usual, good advice, thank you. As you say, it doesn't seem as if it should be suuuuuuuuuuuper difficult to do those things...

I am absolutely not encouraging you to do it if you don't feel capable after watching other people do it. That's a path to a bad result. However, if you end up thinking "well it's an overwhelming thing if I look at the entirety but each step doesn't look that bad" ... you should at least ponder it. Plus you should check to see if you've got any friends/acquaintances you could bribe to help. Plus there's always the forum here. And I address many of the most common gotchas: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/building-burn-in-and-testing-your-freenas-system.17750/
Don't worry, I understand your position. If I end up building it myself, I know there is some great support available in the forum (sadly no friend / acquaintances here who can help)

http://www.usystems.co.uk/sites/default/files/UCoustic 9210 cooling.pdf

Seems reasonable to me. Make sure you have someplace to dump the hot air and I expect it'd be very workable.
Will do, thanks!

fn369

Explorer
I don't have much to add on that server you linked to, though note you may be able to sell the RAID controller for more than you'd pay for an M1015/9211-8i. I'm also not a big fan of the RAM being configured as 8 x 4 GB DIMMs, as that means you can't expand the RAM without removing the existing RAM.
I thought the same, knowing that, sooner or later (probably sooner) I'd want to upgrade it!

The 1650 is a good processor, probably better than the 26xx parts in a single-socket configuration
Everyone has spoken highly of this 1600 series, and I'm sold.

All in all, it seems like a good system, but it does seem a little expensive--though I think I did luck into an unusually good deal on mine. Note that they're offering a 5-year warranty, which could be nice.
Having spent almost every waking hour for the past few days in eBay/this forum, I think you were rather lucky, but if this isn't an ideal setup, I should strive to fine one that is.

I've found the last email I have from the seller of my system (about a month ago), and emailed him back to see if he currently has any 4U systems. I'll let you know what I hear back.
Thank you, that's extremely kind of you! I've also contacted another seller who offers to build to any spec - and who currently has a barebones version of the chassis I want - to see if he will ship here.

fn369

Explorer
We can always fix the name of the thread. I'm not sure if you're able to as an ordinary user, but if not, just indicate what you'd like it to be and I'll make it so.
Thank you, but it's not important and I'm happy to note that it's given a few people cause to smile! Obviously, I should have written 24 Bay, not 24U... :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.