First time FreeNAS build, need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pintu1228

Explorer
Hi, all this is my first post and first build so please bare with me.

So I got all my parts mentioned above:

CPUs: Dual Intel Xenon X5650
Motherboard: Supermicro X8DTH-IF
CPU cooler: passive coolers from supermicro (2 of them)
RAM: Hynix HMT151R7BFR4C (4GB) ECC x 4 sticks = 16 GB total
Case: Supermicro SC933T-R760B
Drives: 3 x 2TB WD RED and 1 x 3TB WD RED (will replace the 3TB with 2 more 2TB to have them all the same size, I know freeNAS doesn't like different sizes)

Questions:

1. Wondering if I should get more RAM or not?

2. The case has a triple redudent PSU but should I replace this with ATX psu to reduce the noise? The triple redudent PSU has only 1 8-pin CPU connector and the motherboard requires 2, should I be looking for a ATX power supply with 2 of these? If so, can you help me find a PSU that would work for me??

3. If I go ahead and install FreeNAS, I am confused on what they said regarding the pool. If I make a pool with 5 X 2TB WD Red drives and later need to add more, I cannot add to the existing pool, correct? If so, if I make another pool with say 2 X 2TB WD Red drives, will I be able to put new movies into the folder created on the 1st pools or will I have to make a entirely different dataset under new pool?

4. Is there any sort of apps I can download on mobile devices (IOS, android) to play music from freeNAS (I used to own the Synology DS1512+ and had apps that could stream music/videos to my phone)?

5. Regarding question 4, is there a way I can install FreeNAS and then install Xpenology as VM inorder to use the apps such as audio station, photo station, video station? For my house needs, I will be using Plex as it is build into my TV.

Thanks in adavance

pintu1228

Explorer
one more question, should I get the IBM M1015 HBA and flash it, my motherboard only has 6 ports.

Thanks

marbus90

Guru
1. you can remove CPU2 and use 3x4GB DIMMs on one CPU. Upgrading should be done via 3x16GB RDIMMs from the Tested Memory list.
2. an ATX PSU doesn't fit in a 3U chassis
3. you can include the 3TB in the same array. it'll work, you'll just lose that TB. you can replace the 3TB with a 2TB later on or just replace all the 2TBs with bigger ones - or leave it as-is.
4. there is, but I'm not into jails...
5. is blasphemy apart from plex (which is available in a jail).

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
  1. No way to know for sure until you see how the system performs
  2. No expertise, sorry.
  3. part 1 - you can only expand a pool by either adding a vdev or replacing all disks in a vdev with larger disks. part 2 - no, a dataset cannot span pools. You should probably read this.
  4. Plex.
  5. There is a VirtualBox jail template that you can run VMs on, if that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.