BUILD Second build -- Feedback please

Status
Not open for further replies.

jet09

Dabbler
Hi Everyone,

I'm planning on building a second FreeNAS box and could you some suggestions. My first build was built using cheap hardware and non ECC RAM running in raid-z. I'm planning on building a second one to replace the first one. It will be used for streaming HD videos and NFS shares for multiple VMs (~ 6 running at once). I do plan on upgrading to 10GB NIC in the future (when the prices drop).

Motherboard
SuperMicro X8DTE-B Dual Socket LGA1366

CPU
2 x Intel E5540 2.53 GHz

RAM
6 x 2GB PC3-10600R ECC
3 x 8GB PC3-10600R ECC

Raid Controller
IBM LSI ServeRAID M1015

Hard Drives

Debating on this and I can't decide. Don't know if Raid-z2 will provide enough performance.
Either go with
6 x 3TB WD RED in Raid-z2
or
(4 x 3TB WD RED in Raid-z2 + 4 x 3TB WD RED in Raid-z2) in Raid 0

OS Hard Drives

Kingston 30GB SATA III

Case/PSU

Supermicro CSE-836 Chassis

Thanks in advanced!

Fuganater

Patron
My 2 cents...

RAM - Unless you already have that RAM don't buy it. It is a waste to buy 4GB or less DIMMs. You didn't say the brand so I will say, stay away from Kingston. If you are running 6 VMs then get 64 GB of RAM. 62 just for FreeNAS and 32 for the VMs.

OS drive - Get 2x 16GB Sandisk Cruser Fit and mirror your installation

HBA - Get a LSI 9211-8i. You need to cross flash the M1015 to a 9211-8i so just buy the LSI. They are only $10 more on Ebay. Also, the 9211-8i SFF-8087 ports face the backplane so it makes for cleaner cable routing.

Chassis - I have the 828TQ which is great and all but you have to use a SFF-8087 to SATA break out cable and you will need 2x HBA to serve all 16 drives. If you get the SC846-E16, you only need 1x HBA as it uses a SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 cable for all 24 drives. They can be more expensive but I have seen people on here get them for less than $400.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Phew, avoid the backplanes with individual SATA connectors at all costs! Imagine replacing one in the middle...

The dumb backplanes with SFF-8087 ports (four drives each) are a better practical choice and I expect cost to be very similar.

jet09

Dabbler
I already have the 2GB sticks lying around that I can use. Was planning on getting Kingston RAM but now I'll get something else. The VMs will be running on totally separate machine. FreeNAS will only provide storage via NFS.
OS drive - wow that's cheap. Thanks!

HBA - I will go with the LSI 9211-8i seems like the same price.

Chasis - I was looking at SC846-E16 (the exact model). The price for that is ~$500 with shipping and I really don't need 24 bay. I was considering the 16 bay only to leave room for further expansion. I'm going to start with 8 or 6 drives.

Fuganater

Patron
The VMs will be running on totally separate machine. FreeNAS will only provide storage via NFS.
Ah ok. I never used FreeNAS for VMs so I was not sure.

Something

Explorer
Biggest issues is that the idle power usage on those processors will be HIDEOUS. Nehalem-EP is the highest upgrade option but even that suffers. Gulftown or higher would be the minimum IMO.

If you're reusing stuff and power usage isn't a concern, then go for it.

Last edited:

jet09

Dabbler
I'm reusing the CPU's from another machine so they are basically free. I was hoping for someone to comment on the hard drive choice. The WD Red is on sale now so was hoping to buy them soon.

Something

Explorer
WD Reds come highly recommended and see a lot of usage.

gpsguy

What do you mean by this? Two RAIDz2 vdev's striped together in one pool?

For your VM storage, striped mirrors are preferred over RAIDz2.

(4 x 3TB WD RED in Raid-z2 + 4 x 3TB WD RED in Raid-z2) in Raid 0

jet09

Dabbler
Yes. I meant two Raid-z2 vdev's stripped together. I figured this would give me redundancy and performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.