2 Questions involving WHS and Freenas

Status
Not open for further replies.

apb0703

Dabbler
Hello all,

I am about to build a new Freenas system. I have all the components and I am above the recommended specs. I have a couple of questions for after I get Freenas all set up and ready to move data to.

1. I currently have a Windows Home Server 2011 setup. It has a total of 16 TB with about 14 TB in use. Mainly media files. What is the best and fastest way for me to move the data over to the Freenas system? I know it will take a while because there is a lot of data, but I am wondering what is the best way to move it over?

2. After I get the data moved, I plan to still to use the Windows Home Server to back up my home PC's. Will it be possible to copy the backups to Freenas? I like how WHS is able to restore a PC completely so that is why I am asking. Right now WHS does a backup every night. Is there a way to copy those backups over to Freenas? If so what is the best way? Any way to automate it?

Thanks in advanced

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hello all,

I am about to build a new Freenas system. I have all the components and I am above the recommended specs. I have a couple of questions for after I get Freenas all set up and ready to move data to.

1. I currently have a Windows Home Server 2011 setup. It has a total of 16 TB with about 14 TB in use. Mainly media files. What is the best and fastest way for me to move the data over to the Freenas system? I know it will take a while because there is a lot of data, but I am wondering what is the best way to move it over?

2. After I get the data moved, I plan to still to use the Windows Home Server to back up my home PC's. Will it be possible to copy the backups to Freenas? I like how WHS is able to restore a PC completely so that is why I am asking. Right now WHS does a backup every night. Is there a way to copy those backups over to Freenas? If so what is the best way? Any way to automate it?

Thanks in advanced

WHS 2011 doesn't make it too easy, but you can manually sync its backup database with the FreeNAS server (should be easy with Rsync). On second though, that's exactly what I should be doing.

As for moving stuff over, RDP in and use Robocopy (or good ol' Windows Explorer if you're lazy) to copy stuff over.

Status
Not open for further replies.