11.2-U2.1 Install Failed 2 of 2

jlpellet

Patron
Tried to install 11.2-U2.1 on 2 Intel systems running 11.2-U2. Both failed to install - new boot environment failed to boot. Sucessfully reverted to 11.2-U2.1 on both. Seems like to ongoing unreliability of the new boot loader continues - I seem to be running about a 50% upgrade install success rate since the advent of the GRUB replacement.

ThreeDee

Guru
installed just fine on my 128GB SSD that is connected via SATA to USB cable. My original install was via the ISO burned to a blank DVD disc (just comparable info of what seems to work)

Something isn't quite right. The 2.1 patch didn't take....
screenshot.135.png

FYI: I then checked that my boot environment was still 11.2-U2 and rebooted in case the attempted update left behind some residual stuff. After the reboot, I ended up with a degraded boot pool. Easy enough to fix. Thank goodness for mirrored boot devices! Btw, my boot devices are USB sticks.
screenshot.136.png

Last edited:

jlpellet

Patron
Both of the systems that failed use an SSD in an external USB 3.0 case connected to a USB 3.0 port via the Intel chipset on the motherboard. The system have had the same config for over a year. I converted to SSD when the system design change started writing to the boot drive - I was getting flash drive scrub error regularly. So far, I've had NO failures on initial install of 11 from flash drive. Just updates seem to leave the boot loader corrupted completely (requiring reinstall) or with the update failing but allowing regression. I did not see this issue with GRUB. AFAIK, this seems to have hit only USB-SSD boot drives (on several usb-ssd chipsets).

John

jlpellet

Patron
Some additional info as follows. Since my systems are headless, I did not see the console when the updates failed. However, I added a display & reran noting the following sequence.
1. GUI applied the update & rebooted. Console showed reboot.
2. After 1st reboot, system appeared to normally apply the update then reboot as expected.
3. On 2nd boot, system started 11.2u2.1 but stopped after 2nd line. Console showed as below.
/boot/kernal/kernal text=0x160b310 efi part_readwrite: rw=1, blk=10817447 size=169 status=7
efipart_readwrite: rw=1, blk=11053762 size=55 status=7
4. Same hang on power cycle.
5. Reboot via power cycle & selecting older boot worked then used GUI to reset reboot to older, delete 11.2u2.1 & success.

Today, from the GUI, deleted old boot but current (leaving 1 only) & update succeded on 3 systems using USB3-SSD external. Could be random but continue to experiment with future updates.
John Pellet

Something isn't quite right. The 2.1 patch didn't take....
Strange. I repeated the update today and it now takes. A hiccup somewhere. What seems to be happening though is that I have had to repair the boot devices on the two servers I updated.

Last edited: