11.2-BETA2 smartd failed to start - smartd.conf missing

nathank1989

Contributor
Hello all,

I am having a heck of a time getting smartd to work reliably.
For some unknown, stupid, reason the smartd service in FreeNAS is not generating a smartd.conf file, thus when I start the service from the gui /var/log/messages shows:
$ root: /usr/local/etc/rc/d/smartd-daemon WARNING: /usr/local/etc/smard.conf is not readable

When I navigate to that directory, smartd.conf isn't even there.

So I manually created one and got the service to work, until a reboot wiped away the file and the service is in a failed state again.

What can I do to permanently fix this and get FreeNAS to properly generate a smartd.conf file?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Please file a bug report and post the number here.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Please file a bug report and post the issue number here. Also, describe all mass storage devices on the system in as much detail as possible, as well as any controllers.

nathank1989

Contributor
I'll get/search for a bug report when the site is working again

And also note my apologies for posting this in the Networking forum, I had too many tabs open with forum guides and posts and accidentally posted in the wrong one. If a mod would be so kind as to move it to the appropriate forum?

Attachments

• freenasbug.PNG
    freenasbug.PNG
    33.1 KB · Views: 801

nathank1989

Contributor
There appears to be a bug report, however the status is marked as "Done"
https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/32502

I downloaded the latest BETA release from freenas.org and this issue continues to happen to me.

I have 8 Hitatchi Ultrastar A7K4000s on a ASRock d1540d4i
6x SATA on-board, 2 SATA on a IO Crest 2-port SATA III PCIe 2.0 x2 Controller Card

j0hnby

Explorer

Bashern

Dabbler
Having the same issue. Apparently /etc/ix.rc.d/ix-smartd creates the missing /usr/local/etc/smard.conf configuration file, but ix-smartd is missing on my install. Are any of you missing ix-smartd? Might be the cause....

As far as initial troubleshooting, I only have smartd enabled on my spinning platters, ada0 thru ada5, no wonky raid cards here, just plugging in straight to my e3c226d2i motherboard.

Last edited:

j0hnby

Explorer
Yep - are missing /etc/ix.rc.d/ix-smartd too

Bashern

Dabbler
Anyone know where we can source an organic free trade ix-smartd?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
If you reboot the system and the file is missing, it's time to backup your config and reinstall.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

j0hnby

Explorer
@Chris Moore - It's not a config or install fault, the error has been accepted by the Freenas Dev team and is due to be fixed in RC1.

There was a report open for this already before I logged it, and my duplicate has been closed. Here is the link to the "real" ticket for info: https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/44306

nathank1989

Contributor
@Chris Moore - It's not a config or install fault, the error has been accepted by the Freenas Dev team and is due to be fixed in RC1.

There was a report open for this already before I logged it, and my duplicate has been closed. Here is the link to the "real" ticket for info: https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/44306

Just updated to BETA3 and confirmed the issue is still present. This is insane and a seemingly simple fix. Of course any edits via CLI are erased on reboot, so there is no permanent fix to this until the dev team gets around to it. For SMART to be broken on a NAS system is a pretty big high priority for me.

FinalDoom

Cadet
I'm also having this issue with an actual machine on BETA3. According to https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/45684 the fix is slated for october 10. Does anyone have an idea for what I can do in the interim? I do have one disk on its way out and I'd like to know when it does finally faceplant. Perhaps it'd be enough to generate my own smartd.conf and restore it if I reboot?

I don't know that you need smart to know when it finally dies, but a workaround could be to disable smart on and USB devices and then reboot. I know there are commands from the CLI that will kick smart to redo the discovery process, but I don't know them off the top of my head. If this is a HW RAID card, your only answer may be manually hacking the smartd.conf. I had to do that with an LSI 9271 even when all the drives were in JBOD mode.

FinalDoom

Cadet
True, I was just hoping it might start having more failures than just the usual one that's been failing for months when it does get closer to kicking.

It's an LSI 9211 in JBOD, which was previously doing just fine. I'll have to see if I can get any configs out of the CLI and if disabling stuff helps; Thanks for that idea. I'm just hesitant to try to put a config together from scratch as I'm not sure if the emails and alerts would function. Would be easier if I had the slightest clue what it looked like before. :)

j0hnby

Explorer
Any chance someone on non-beta can drop me their smartd.conf file that is working? I have created one from the smartd.conf sample help, but would like to see a "normal" one from a running system.

Here is an excerpt from mine. You could start with this line and copy it for each relevant disk (daXX).
Code:
################################################
# smartd.conf generated by /etc/ix.rc.d/ix-smartd
################################################
/dev/da0 -a -n never -W 0,0,0 -m notification-email-address@somewhere.com -M exec /usr/local/www/freenasUI/tools/smart_alert.py\
-s S/(01|02|03|04|05|06|07|08|09|10|11|12)/../(1|2|3|4|5|6|7)/(04)\