11.1 u2 update... now FreeNAS won't boot

biggyk

Contributor
Noticed u2 was available so ran it and went to bed. woke up this morning to notice the GUI is unavailable and no SSH access. I'm guessing I have to reinstall a fresh copy of FreeNAS but stupid me don't have an updated config file so I suppose I have to set up all my jails again.

Just wondering if there is a solution to get it back up before going through the few hours a work to get it up and running again.

I did not have a chance to hook it up to a. monitor to check the console yet.

Any way to obtain the config as it sits now?

Thanks.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Nick2253

Wizard
It's possible that all you need to do is reboot it. If the update went wrong, you should be able to select the previous boot environment. I believe that you are jumping the gun a bit by going strait to a reinstall.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Maybe not even reboot it. If it is set to DHCP, it might have just got a different IP address.

biggyk

Contributor
It's possible that all you need to do is reboot it. If the update went wrong, you should be able to select the previous boot environment. I believe that you are jumping the gun a bit by going strait to a reinstall.
you're probably right. I totally forgot about being able to boot back. only in console though right? no way to remotely do it?

biggyk

Contributor
Maybe not even reboot it. If it is set to DHCP, it might have just got a different IP address.
probably not, all my jails are down too and they have static as well.

scrappy

Patron
Do you not have physical or IPMI console access at all? Assuming this server is nearby, couldn't you attach a physical monitor and see what is actually going on during boot?

biggyk

Contributor
Finally had the chance to hook up a monitor to it to see. The problem is when it tries to boot u2 I get an error that says "you need to load the kerner first". I changed back to u1 and it boots fine. Im not sure whats going on with that. Could it be a bug?

Also noticed CAM status: CCB request completed with an error a few times when booting and once while running

Last edited:

gurtonBuster

Dabbler
now that its booted I think go to boot settings and make sure the previous environment is activated and then go back and (You may have to reboot) then delete the new boot environment (the bad one). Then go back and try the update again. I had an upgrade problem and I think I did that. I like to keep a boot environment option.

biggyk

Contributor
now that its booted I think go to boot settings and make sure the previous environment is activated and then go back and (You may have to reboot) then delete the new boot environment (the bad one). Then go back and try the update again. I had an upgrade problem and I think I did that. I like to keep a boot environment option.
I get failed to delete boot environment when trying to get rid of u2

ezra

Contributor
I get failed to delete boot environment when trying to get rid of u2

Activate U1 first, then delete U2. No need for a reboot.

You could also try to manually update the U2.iso. Anyway around it doesn't work for me, still on U1...

biggyk

Contributor
Activate U1 first, then delete U2. No need for a reboot.

You could also try to manually update the U2.iso. Anyway around it doesn't work for me, still on U1...
Yeah I tried that currently on u1 which is also label now, on reboot.

gurtonBuster

Dabbler
Open a shell and run: beadm list
this should display boot environments
N means now R means reboot NR means now, reboot
make sure the flags are on the correct b-e, and
if it still shows the bad one delete the boot environment you want with beadm destroy [name]
example: beadm destroy 11.1-U2
This is case sensitive in the web shell. I cloned my good b-e in the UI then deleted it in shell just to try it then reload the page and go back to the boot tab it should be gone. or at least maybe it will give you more info on the error.

biggyk

Contributor
Code:
Destroy '-' snapshot? (y/[n]): y
root@NAS:~ # beadm destroy 11.1-U2
cannot destroy 'freenas-boot/ROOT/11.1-U2': filesystem has dependent clones
use '-R' to destroy the following datasets:
freenas-boot/ROOT/11.0-U2
freenas-boot/ROOT/11.0-U3
freenas-boot/ROOT/11.0-U4
freenas-boot/ROOT/11.0-U1
freenas-boot/ROOT/11.1-RELEASE
freenas-boot/ROOT/default
freenas-boot/ROOT/Initial-Install

biggyk

Contributor
Shows all the same that is in my boot list. 11.1 71 is rn

gurtonBuster

Dabbler
Will it let you retry the update now that you have booted into the previous environment?

biggyk

Contributor
No it says that it has already been applied and reboot but cannot boot into it. Gives me that must load kernel first message.